Japanese Culture and Music

You mean the tentacles and school girl uniforms? Two items which are rarely mutually exclusive in the local art. I would love to go there get one of those uniforms and eat myself to death (without touching the puffer sushi).

1 Like

You can buy sushi SO CHEAP in japan and china compared to here 3:

Stupid america makes it up to be some sort of wierd foreign thing when you can buy like 2 pound boxes for 15 bucks :P

I heard sushi in Japanese culture is only eaten on special occasions.

What is weird to one culture, is completely "normal" to the other. Kanji are actually Chinese characters. Quite a few characters are indeed pictographic, but the majority of them are semantic. (They use component characters to indicate pronunciation and meaning.) So in Chinese, even if you haven't seen a character before, with enough of a vocabulary, you can have a pretty good guess at pronunciation and meaning, not sure if this translates over to Japanese, as well. The Japanese kana (hiragana and katakana) are actually derived from Chinese characters.

Japanese, like Chinese has a lot of homonyms. So yes, a word can sound the same and have many different meanings, i.e. as in English: there, they're, their. A lot of Chinese and Japanese humor is based on puns, as well as many cultural beliefs/values. I think Korean is like this too, but I know little about the Korean language and culture, so someone else will have to chime in. I do know though, that all over East Asia, the number 4 is bad luck, because it is a homonym for death, but it's more extreme than how the number 13 is feared in the West. So homonyms probably apply to Korean, as well. Japanese is even more confusing, because they have at least two different readings for the same character: on'yomi and kun'yomi. On'yomi is based off of the Chinese pronunciation, when it was introduced, and kun'yomi is the native Japanese reading.

What about mental, emotional, and spiritual harm?

This is exactly what I did. I went to one meeting of Sci-fi/Comic Book club and never went back. I did get to know some of the members later on, but I just couldn't take the geek overload at meetings.

I only began to question this recently. In fact, I stopped using the question in this sense, as I feel it is meaningless in that context.

Sorry, I wrote most of this long ago and never finished it up. >_<

Yeah, I knew someone was going to nitpick that.
Because when it comes to those things, that's when we get in the grey area and it attracts the professional victims.

Semantics aside, the point I was making that watching a TV show, or just having a hobby that doesn't harm anyone shouldn't ever be looked down upon. Do what makes you happy.

1 Like

I call them as I see them.

1 Like