Jailbreak Cydia won't Search or Update Changes

I have jailbroken my iPod Touch 2nd Generation (MB model) and, no matter what I do, I simply cannot search anything in Cydia.  When I hit refresh in the Changes tab, a black bar appears over the app for a nanosecond that says "Updating Database" and it immediately goes away right after I click refresh.  In the search tab, whenever I search something, it shows me a blank white screen with line separators.  I have got no packages or anything installed, and this is the first time I've ever jailbroken any device.  I always select Dev mode when it asks me, and I have tried other modes but none of them work.

This is not a network error, as I have reset the network settings, tried three different WiFis, and I can download apps from the Apple App Store.

I have tried rejailbreaking - three times.  It hasn't worked once.  I used Redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3 to jailbreak this.  I also tried Greenp0is0n but that didn't work at all.

I have tried simply rebooting the device, to no prevail.

Any idea what on earth I can do?  Like I said, I haven't installed any repos or packages whatsoever, because I can't even get to them to install them.  My computer knowledge is very high, and I will understand any computer terms you need to use to help me out here.  Thanks to anybody who can help!

its been a while since i last messed with jailbreaks, but one piece of information is missing from your checks: do you actually /have/ a repo in your list, no repo means no packages to find.

All of the lists - Packages, repos, etc. - are blank and empty.

try adding a repo (EDIT: removed example as it appears to 404, suggest googling a bit for one) and reloading, then packages should show up (and repeat this for every other repo you want to use)

When I go to add any repo, the Cydia closes to the home screen.  I dont even know what a repo is, to be honest.

Repository, where you get your packages from. IIRC, I had that issue once on my iPod, but not sure how I managed to get around that problem since it's been a while when I updated my device.

i suggest rejailbreaking, and selecting regular user, also: what iOS version is your device on?