Jack's 10920X build log

Why were you running prime like 1 month later?

2 Likes

That’s like saying

Hey I’m gonna run an engine at a redline for 24 hrs and see if it blows up.

Well

f50bbbbeedeef695db7e78f0a5ea06a1efaf719f5ee696594f19a63dc367a857.0-1

I’ve sent a few CPUs to blew smoke heaven. I guess having the money to do so made it not matter as much. Always sucks when they go over that rainbow

2 Likes

can you still run it slightly overvolted
If it truly is craped out then don’t think of it as a 1000$ cpu down the drain, it’s only 500$ now and did you not get use out of it? Not a complete waste

Sell it at a heavy discount under parts/not working and be clear that it’s degraded and what voltages it worked for you

Or keep it as a reminder of caution

2 Likes

So good news, it was the memory was too tight and was in an area of the case with no airflow. I’m waiting for my Kraken G12 and temporarily am down 1 exhaust fan, and it affected the temperature of the E-die enough to stop being stable at 1.44v with 18-22-18-38. I ended up dialing down to 18-23-18-38 at 1.39V with a temporary exhaust fan to keep temperatures under control. The CPU was fortunately fine.

2 Likes

Bad news prefacing good news:

My Apple keyboard intended for host OS stuff for VFIO broke while I was cleaning it. I’m now out one keyboard. I now have to assign my Corsair Strafe to the host OS and have to buy as Ducky One 2 TKL non-RGB to replace my Guest OS keyboard. I spilled sugarless Sprite Zero on the num pad so it’s slightly sticky, and then used 70% Isopropyl Alcohol to get rid of the stickiness. I’m down to only one sticky key, (one more round of IPA will do it) and I realize this removes the lube, but I’m out of options being broke.

Oh, and found out my Corsair Strafe was ABS, not PBT. No wonder why my keys are wearing out.

Memory had to be brought down to DDR4-3466. Not revealing the timings as I have a genuine feeling I will be jinxed if I reveal them. Last failed post the NVMe failed CRC checks because the timings were incorrect.

Kraken G12 arrived, installation was fine, but it confirmed my 1080 Ti GPU is a loser for the silicon lottery, being unstable above 1898Mhz no matter what. Had to do a -76mhz offset on my factory OC GPU.

Also dealing with the Freesync issue on the 1080 Ti with no one to reference if this is a more widespread issue. I’m forced to fixed refresh gaming on my 1080 Ti because of the Freesync issues with screen blanking.

Really hoping you can turn down the polling rate on Ducky keyboards because you can’t enter TianoCore UEFI on 1000hz polling frequency.

1 Like

So this is more of a conundrum problem I’m presenting:

I currently have a 10920X + 1080 TI + 1660 Ti system almost ready for Looking Glass and VFIO, but the 1080 Ti has absolutely terrible FP16 performance for FSR.

I also have a 4960X + GTX 1080 (once I get one again) + 1060 system also for VFIO, but less for Looking Glass. It’s my daily system that also works with macOS Sierra.

I plan to install High Sierra on the 10920X system but I have a Windows 1903 image with Premiere that I use to take advantage of direct NVENC. Problem is, ProRes editing is much more efficient on macOS. I plan to use a 970 Pro 1TB (still unopened) for that. I still have no guidance on how to do this with Opencore.

My true gaming system will be a 9900K + Radeon VII or 6900 XT system. My Zen 4 system will be true ITX in the Cooler Master NR200P or Lian Li Q58 with Navi 31.

Did I make a mistake watercooling my 1080 Ti? It’s effort going somewhere where I can’t gain any more performance and I have buyers remorse because I went with the 1080 Ti because of High Sierra.

Will I be making a mistake with the Radeon VII? Simply to get Catalina compatibility and locking myself so I’m not gonna get newer GPU based features like Variable Rate Shading.

I once was a huge proponent of VFIO, but with Windows 11 and the Steam Deck, I’m not certain anymore.

My plan is to install a 1903 VM on my 4960X system, and a 2004 VM on the 10920X system. The 9900K will be a straight up 2004 install. Zen4 I may just run Linux exclusively.

1 Like

So update: I’ve decided for the Radeon VII and 6900 XT dilema to just get both.

Way too early right now to think about Zen4, but I am planning a ITX Zen4 build in the NR200P or Q58. Which one would work exactly I’m not sure yet. The NR200P doesn’t need a riser, but the Q58 looks nicer.

The 10920X build is missing this Akasa bracket:

and these panel mount USB extensions:

And the 4960X is missing another PCIE x1 riser to gain back USB 3.0 and the ability to passthrough a whole controller.

I’m currently not considering the O11 Air Mini because I fear a 280mm AIO will bump into future longer GPUs in my case if it’s front facing, and it won’t be enough to cool an average grade 9900K at 5Ghz and 1.3V. (which is why I’m thinking about the 9900KS)

1 Like

Did tREFI tuning and managed to increase performance. Funnily the tREFI limit was 30000 on both my X79 and X299 boards. I went with 3x stock tREFI on my X79 system and max tREFI on my X299 system.

Also tuned tCCD_L to 8 on X299. tRFC I went to 350ns for my DDR4-3466 Micron E-die. I finally learned the formula for tRFC in nanoseconds and applied the value accordingly.

I gained 10fps in Breathedge when single core pegged just from tREFI alone.

2 Likes

I admire the dedication you’re showing.
Good job on sqeezing more perf.

2 Likes

It’s Skylake-X. (technically Cascade Lake-X) I kinda have to because I don’t have clock speed advantages.

My 9900K build is only gonna start next year (waiting on Seasonic 850W Platinum SFX PSUs) and I’m gonna go Micron E-die again since Hynix DJR needs a lot of cooling to maintain high speeds.

1 Like

Update: tRC was severely hampering my stable CL timings, (Apparently this is a common Micron E-die trait) I managed to go down to CL16. Leaving tRRD at 6/6 and tFAW at 24 also helped stabilize lower CL timings. I have to leave tRAS high and tRC on auto because the tRC is so bad on my kit. tRCD and tRP both were able to be lowered. Saw no benefit to lowering only tRP despite my 10920X supposedly having the register to it.

My kit can’t do 290ns tRFC so I went more conservative from last stable which was 300ns to 330ns.

Currently settled on 14 tWR. tRTP I’m leaving at 12 because I have instability at 8. Last thing I can see going lower is tCWL, which is dependent on IMC quality. My IMC and memory voltage hardwalls frequency at 3600 on 4x16GB. If I go any higher than 1.37V on my kit I get into voltage rollover territory where it stops being stable.

I also decided against getting the Radeon VII because I can’t get it working in VFIO if I wanted to, and I’ll settle with Big Sur on my 9900K Hackintosh.

The 10fps change in a game was more because I disabled TAA, so unfortunately it wasn’t THAT dramatic of a change.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.