I've yet to use a bad Linux distro

Yes, I have. It’s fantastic. Easily up there with Debian for me

1 Like

Zyeah because actual effort went into it.

1 Like

The fact that the Mint team maintains two desktop environments that they’ve forked from Gnome 2 and 3 in and of itself is a feat. As a matter of fact, that’s why Mint rose in popularity so much.

They do a lot behind the scenes, and yes, I never cared for the Ubuntu version either but either way it’s still incredible. Their team isn’t all too large either

The problem is Cinnamon and MATE are not maintained well anywhere else but Mint, Fedora, and Arch. Other distros tend to trail behind a little

I use Plasma myself, but I’m not ashamed in away to say that I think Cinnamon has a lot of polish that other DEs lack (at least when it comes to organization)

I’ve used cinnamon once or twice, but most of the time that I used it it just seemed like a shitty version of mate. However, to a windows user its extremely valuable.

Thats the reason I don’t like mint. Aside from random things not being up to date, theres just choices made for windoms users, rather than linux users. At least in my opinion. I never liked the design.

For the budgie side… eh. I guess I’m too much of a power user, but I have always wanted them to rake some design notes from pantheon.

2 Likes

Agreed 100%. Mint imho doesn’t offer enough that i care about to justify its existence (And hit to software support/compatibility i’d take vs. say, just running ubuntu, or RHEL, or centos, or whatever as appropriate) alongside something else.

I’m not quite sure when “different default WM = DIFFERENT DISTRO” happened (something like mid-2000s?) but it shits me. Just install a different WM on top of your well supported base distro (or even… don’t bother, as far as I’m concerned, they just exist to launch applications and do basic window management really - but hey, some WMs even do a shitty job of that) and move on…

I’ve used cinnamon once or twice, but most of the time that I used it it just seemed like a shitty version of mate.

I was a Gnome 2 user back in the day. I can’t say anything particularly bad about how MATE has continued to support it, but MATE is showing it’s age. I really hoped we’d see it continue to be developed rather than just maintained.

The single biggest different I see, and the primary reason I use Cinnamon, is because it natively supports HiDPI. For a while, it actually had some of the best HiDPI support in Linux-land, but the introduction of fractional scaling in Gnome and Plasma has surpassed Cinnamon’s support.

1 Like

As far as HiDPi goes, I still believe Cinnamon has the edge there… Gnome has wonky support for it. Plasma handles it really well (I’m using it right now), but GTK stuff never seems to scale just right

Cinnamon handles it all pretty elegantly.

You’re going to have people that say something sucks, and that’s alright, but you’ve just got to use what works best for your use case.

Or… Do it yourself because it’s all open source