I've never pirated a game.. But it's been pulled from all retailers

No, this thread is about pirating something because you don’t want to pay what it costs today. If you actually want to play it for lots and lots of hours, it is probably still worth more than a 5er. If you just want to look at it a bit and have nostalgic feelings and stuff, maybe just watch some youtube playthrough?

Personally I would only pirate shows that I just can not get here otherwise on first release. And I will always buy them later on discs. Haven’t pirated games or music in a decade I think.

2 Likes

This^

We can’t argue on moral grounds because our values are different. We are human. I will say that your initial post was vague and I thought the same thing as @djindy.

I will impart a little advice that was given to me by some wise people. “If you did not have an issue with it, you would not need to seek other people’s approval in regards to it.”

Do what you are going to do. Next time, state what your intentions are. You have to be honest with yourself.

So let me get this straight…
You want the game. You don’t want to buy it, as far as I understand, again. You want us to justify you and tell you it’s OK.
As someone, who have pirated stuff for most of his life even I can’t tell you it’s OK, cause it’s not. And you seems to realize it. If you didn’t, you could have downloaded and replayed half the game by the time you made this thread…
If you don’t want to pay what the game costs - just pirate it. Don’t understand why this thread exist though…

1 Like

It’s pretty much done because staff does not condone piracy so OP needs to choose and not put this decision on the shoulders of others

1 Like

Seems like he already made the decision… He just wants justification…

1 Like

which we cant do

1. No Illegal Content
    Posting or linking to any content considered illegal in the USA is forbidden. This can include, but is not limited to: pirated software, downloads of copyrighted materials you do not have permissions to redistribute, grey market keys or similar.

you have two sides, one saying get it over with and the other saying its not yours and you can get by without it

he isnt going to get a concise answer

Concise answer came up several times. Depends on his personal morality as regards to abandonware, so either buy it second-hand on ebay or download it.

Let me make a kind suggestion of a place I have frequented: r/Piracy. Now nothing against your motivation, your among like minded people whether they’re vocal or not, however it does go against the forum rules. If your asking what the moral stance is I’d say this makes you a pirate, a fully justified pirate, yet a pirate nonetheless. Mike from breaking bad in better call saul has a pretty good summary of this philosophy, just modify the wording for the situation

That was such a weird game. I think it might be the first FPS that I have ever played that didn’t have pistols and shotguns.

The entitlement of some of you is astounding.

You don’t have a right to buy a game, to play a game, to download a game, etc. Find something else to do with your time, Jesus.

I guess it’s okay to just go into Half Price Books with a photocopier since some of those books have been pulled from retail? I mean, fuck the second hand business, right?

EDIT – Just searched Amazon, found around 10 copies used for PC.

It should still be at a Gamestop. It might not say so online. Just check the games that are in CD sleeves and not in their box.

Oh yeah you can get it for around 40 bucks on there just scroll down

/s

I tend to go to EBGames/Play n Trade in my areaand they have it for like 5 bucks. If you were worried about “ethics” then I wouldn’t worry. The money doesn’t go back to the devs anymore and they probably don’t give a rats ass.

“Tiny little life forms…”

Proper lingo is “acquire” it… or similar language. Avoid calling it in direct form. And if the original people that made it won’t get your dollars from the purchase of said goods, then yeah… get your ass in gear and go acquire it. Allegedly.

So don’t play it.

Problem solved.

You’re not entitled to play it just because you want to

1 Like

No, that isn’t what abandonware means. For example, Fallout 2 was originally developed by Black Isle, a division of Interplay, both of which went six feet under many years ago. They don’t see a penny on sales as they do not exist.

Difference is that Zenimax subsequently purchased the Fallout IP and currently sells Fallout 2 in stores. You can go on Steam or GOG right now and buy it. Fallout 2 is by definition not abandonware, and must be examined on a separate moral plane.

Of course morality is a sliding scale, and subjective by its very nature, but it seems pretty unambiguous that abandonware is less scummy than pirating a game that you can buy with a single click in Steam. If you have no problem with that then go be you, I’m not Judge Dredd. But they aren’t the same thing.

you should not look at the law for guidance in morality.

You do zero harm to anyone if you aren’t going to buy a game and instead of never playing the game, you torrent it. Especially if the IP is still being used and you having a good experience might make it more likely that you buy a future game from them; it could actually benefit them for you to pirate it.

The only time you are hurting a game developer by torrenting a game is when you would of bought a brand new copy of the game, but you didn’t because pirating it was an option. And when you do this, you are not hurting the game developer any more than you would if you legally bought a used copy of the game. That is the only time it can be argued that torrenting it immoral imo and even then it is no more immoral than buying a used copy of the game.

This is getting kinda meta, but you’re only looking at the transfer of ownership and opportunity losses. When you violate copyright, what you’re really doing is removing the ability of the rights holder to control how their property is used. If you write a book, shouldn’t you have control on how it’s sold, and distributed? Piracy says no.

The counterargument to that is the “information wants to be free” bit. But copyright exists for a reason, to incentivize people to create great things. If you can’t profit from your work, would you still create it just for the sheer joy of making something new and wonderful?

And if you say yes, keep in mind that you still need to keep your day job because you can’t actually live off creating content now. So even if everybody creates from sheer joy and altruism, we’ll still have far less content to enjoy and humanity will be poorer for it.

1 Like

Damn what a trainwreck

That’s what happens when you don’t reply for two days