I've created something amazing that could easily launch a paradigm shift in small business computing, who do I talk to?

And O365/ exchange licenses?

2 Likes

Most organisations that implement VDI have something in place already. Usually it’s done as a security and compliance exercise.

2 Likes

Sure but how many small business/home users do?
There might be some but not in the interest of cost savings.

1 Like

I was addressing the M365 / Exchange thing, rather than the VDI.

Presumably we can’t make Office / M365 free or dramaticallyaffect the price, since sharing user licences is a violation of the subscription terms.

I don’t think it’s totally unreasonably priced for a household with multiple computers either.

I’ve run very limited VDI at home as I’m sure many of our peers have. Definitely would be interesting for the average household with 2 children doing homework to be able to offer a thin / zero client Home computing solution.

1 Like

Are we talking past each other? Do you mean the MS365 DaaS offered through azure?

1 Like

saying as its a business solution. have you tested it for flaws?.

reason for asking is your keep saying work around…
work arounds normally mean bypassing and the only think i can think of that will increase the system overhead markedly is security.

sure businesses like speed. but if it compromises its security in the process, you could end up paying for a lawsuit rather than earning profits.

1 Like

The only thing I haven’t been able to test for yet is scalability, i’m guessing it tops out at around 20-30 users but might go as high as 100+.

Here’s some food for thought. For an install in an office environment for ten users, hardware and software costs would amount to around $15k total as a one time cost with 4+ cores and access to a higher end GPU (3070/6800) for every user. That’s including terminals and all the licensing required for all the users. The total would of course fluctuate dramatically depending on storage and RAM requirements.
$0 recurring fees either annually or monthly.
Now do some quick napkin math on this and imagine how much you could charge for the install and servicing and still be able to offer your customer massive savings.

Here’s a more in depth breakdown on what that estimate includes
3990x
Dual 10Gb NIC motherboard
256gb RAM
8TB NVME flash
96TB spinning rust
2x 3070/6800
Case, fans and cooler
1000W platinum power supply
Terminals for every user
Supplemental I/O for every user (major expense, could be cut for normies who don’t need it)
Windows licenses for every user
Licensing for the host

Only thing not included is network cables and the contractors hired to route them all if not done by yourself.

Security wise there are any number of options for keeping things buttoned up, both in the design of the physical infrastructure but also in software integration. There are a couple different linux distros I’d like to take the time to test out to see how they’d compare but I’m constrained both by time and budget.

2 Likes

Who do you ask?

Literally this forum.

1 Like

This may be of some interest/relevance:

Patents in Open Source

The relationship between the patent system and software hasn’t always been clear. Software is a unique construction, incorporating both creative and functional aspects. While creative aspects of software are protected under copyright law, the functional aspects of software may be protectable via patent law. The interaction between patent law and open source licenses is the focus of this chapter.

https://google.github.io/opencasebook/patents/

2 Likes