ITX Motherboards and overclocking

Hi!
I haven’t had any chance to build a pc for a while, as I have been gentle and smart user with both of mine built PCs. But the time has come that my IT career has taken me where I can actually allow myself the pleasure of a new PC after 8 long years of AMD X3 athlon.
I am aiming for a killer, but small PC in Phanteks evolv ITX case. (I love the idea of small case packing tons of power and not taking up too much space.)
As the case suggests the ITX motherboard is needed for it. But I have no friends that use ITX or even mATX boards in small cases, to ask for a reference on the experience - so I have come here.

As i plan to use either 8600k, 8700k or refreshes of them (intel 9xxxk) I have my doubts about the actual Z prefix for the motherboard - **will I be able to actually take any advantage of unlocked processor and Z motherboard combo??? How much can i plan to push it? Any risks with 6 phase VRM layout? Should I pay attention to something else in this regard? **

I have my eye on gigabyte’s newest small form factor motherboard Z390 I Aorus and the Asus Z390 ITX Strix. But mainly the gigabyte one.

Cooling for the case is already ordered - Noctua NH-D15, one stock exhaust fan and additionally 200mm front intake.

Thanks in advance! ! ! ! :slight_smile:

Well if you want overclocking then a Z-series chipset board is basically the way to go.
In terms of itx boards, i’m still looking into the quality of the new upcomming Z390 boards.
Till now i only had the time to take a peak at the Asrock Z390 Phantom gaming itx,
and sofar it looks like a pretty sollid board to me,
That would be totally fine for overclocking the new upcomming i5’s or i7’s.
The board has a pretty decent vrm for that.
But for the topend 8C / 16T 9th gen intel chip, the vrm might be pushed a littlebit on this particular board.

I didnt had the chance to look at the Asus Z390 strix and the Gigabyte Z390 itx board yet.
But i will add that info to my Z390 vrm topic soon.
So you could keep an eye on that eventually if you like.

1 Like

Thank you, i will follow up on this - still waiting to make my final orders, but I’d rather wait for reviews than make a mistake.

The Asus deluxe series boards are amazing. Asus is by far the leader in the motherboard bioses and has been since Nehalem. The deluxe series boards used to be by far the best intel ITX boards with the full size vertical VRM on the board, however I believe only the maximus boards have this now. Keep in mind they do get quite hot, and they aren’t cheap (Slightly under $200). However, you can easily get full tower performance out of an itx board. They will also take full size coolers if your case will fit it.

I had a p8z77-i deluxe that has been running a 4.2ghz overclock on my 3770k pretty much 24/7 since 2013.

Excuse me for asking, but You might have and experience with modern motherboard’s sound - as in codecs and audio interfaces: Do i have to worry about the MB not being able to drive headphones (250ohm) properly with ALC892 or ALC1220(and it variations: A, VB, S etc.) ?
Thank you! I ask this as i pay attention to the sound part of the MB’s as well and i have my concerns :slight_smile:

The ALC892 is an older codec that is used on some of the cheaper motherboards.
The ALC1220 is basically the newer codec that is used on the more premium newer series of boards.
So if you care about audio, i would say pick a board with the alc1220.

However the codec itself doesn´t really make a sound solution great on its own.
Because there are more components that matter.
Like if it carries a headphone amp, quality of used audio capacitors etc etc.

1 Like

I went from the X3 8450e to an 8320e then 7850K
Long story
Going from an X3 to an 8600K will be awesome
Have fun

Thank you! :slight_smile:
Will try to have at least one fun :smiley:
have contacted a lot of distributors locally and ASUS and gigabyte directly - still nothing about the availability in my country, can pre-order and wait. Compatibility lists are short as well.

quote;
Dear Valued Customer
The memory you mentioned has not been tested for compatibility in our lab, we have no information about its compatibility, so this can only be determined by test on your side.
Kind regards,

1 Like

Yeah well honnestly unless you really need a small desktop system,
in my opinion if you go atx you generally have more options.

1 Like

Additional information about the Gigabyte and their support. (this is again with their RAM compatibility with new z390.)
Additionally - they (Gigabyte) have released new bios versions for almost all Z390 boards couple days ago. haven’t been able to see visual changes (simply couldn’t find patch-notes or pictures/videos), but there are a couple of fixes regarding the features on the new boards and supposedly new user-friendly interface - that’s good news for us - I guess.

Good day!

Thank you for contacting GBT Tech Support.

We didn’t tested this memory with the motherboard. Technically, problems shouldn’t arise. But for avoiding any compatibility issues, we strongly recommended to use memory from the support list: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_z390-i-aorus-pro-wifi_20181009.pdf

1 Like