It's time! AMD 8350-AMD1800x

With regard to motherboard chipsets, I mean. There really is no clear winner here. This is the basic rundown between X370, B350, B450, B550 and X570:

Chipset X370 B350 B450 B550 X570
USB 480 Mbps 6 6 6 6 4
USB 5 Gbps 6 2 2 2 0
USB 10 Gbps 2 2 2 2 8
SATA III 4 2 2 6 12
Total PCIe 2.0 lanes 8 6 6 0 0
Total PCIe 3.0 lanes 24 24 24 10 0
Total PCIe 4.0 lanes 0 0 0 20 36
Multi GPU Yes No No Yes Yes
Overclocking Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
CPU Support Zen1 - Zen3 Zen1 - Zen3 Zen1 - Zen3 Zen2 - Zen3 Zen1+ - Zen3

The X570 and B550 boards will not support Ryzen 1800X officially (there might be unofficial support). All the good X370 boards have long since gone out of print. Your best bet at this point is a B450 if you are buying brand new, but B450 boards are starting at $150, and if you want WiFi I’d recommend this board for $200:

… But at that point you are paying $40 + $200 for your Motherboard+CPU combo and then the step to a kick ass $159 B550 board + $160 CPU for $319 total, that is better in almost all respects, is only $80 (or $120 if you already have the CPU). So, I don’t see the big value save here, you are adding 33% for 100% power increase and a board that will last a loooooooooong time.

Then there is the question of power consumption, too. This might be irrelevant where you live, but the average power difference between the 5700X and 1800X is huge - might even be something like 50W. That means for every hour you leave your system running, it will cost you 50 Wh extra to keep the 1800X running, more if you OC.

This highly depends on use pattern of course. If this is on 2 hours a day on average, no problem, that’s like 3 kWh a month, but if it’s on 8 hours a day it’s 12 kWh a month and ~150 kWh a year. Even at a low electricity rate like $0.15 / kWh, that is still $22,5 meaning the difference will be paid in full in 4-6 years. More, if electricity is more expensive where you live.

So from my perspective, the 1800X in 2024 offers very little value. This does not mean it is useless - after all, a horse carriage with a horse can still transport both people and goods - just that it is a horse carriage, not a VW Beetle. Why pay $300 for a horse carriage and horse when you can pay $400 for a Beetle?

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm a bit, but I do genuinely believe you are approaching this with a very outdated mindset. If you still want to go through with this, you are welcome to ignore everything above I just said. At the end of the day, it is your money, priorities, time, and resources - and who is to say my view is the only correct one? All I can do is offer advice, you don’t need to take it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well the box and chip looks exactly like a normal 1600. You only find out it has 8 cores when you plug into your system so the packaging doesn’t really make sense.

I’m not selling. Will keep perhaps for an interesting story in the future.

The same can be said about me having a 3070 connected to my 8350 but being worthless because it doesn’t saturate the video card enough. What you said makes sense but when I keep something I keep it for 10 years plus. The 1800x will do just fine and I know I am spending a lot on the motherboard but that is what I always do. My old systems don’t owe me anything and in the long run have saved more money then most users/buyers.

Power usage going from a heavy overclocked 8350 using 5ghz and a 3070 could easily make a grown man cry. Cpu is close to 300 watts alone so power usage will significantly go down with the newer 1800x. Power usage will probably decline by half

Value is a tricky thing. Something one person finds valuable may not to the other. If someone gets rid of a cpu for 40 bucks and I find value using that cpu for many years means to me that it won’t owe me anything(not even close) in the long run. On the other hand the motherboard being super expensive compared to the cpu…yes it’s like putting a luxury carriage to a donkey but it’s my donkey and he will be loved lol

I’m never dampened at all so no worries there. We only have one life to live and I will be forgotten in a few generations so who cares right. Let’s enjoy life and live in the moment.

1 Like

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Either I am too tired this morning or it’s not making sense. It’s definitely a 1800x I didn’t upload a picture of it either. Maybe wrong thread?

Level one had a great video about the 1800x I just saw when they revisited the older cpu

1 Like

So what you are saying is that a 7 year old CPU will help you keep running for 10 more years when you could take a few bucks off from the MB and reach just that little extra for a 5700X or heck, even 5700X3D for $190.

You aren’t really saving any money long term by going with the 1800X, and you are locking yourself in to a motherboard released 4 years ago, at best. Unless you are getting an X370 used, then that too will be a 7 year old part.

B550 + 5700X is two years old and are likely to last 10 years without any changes whatsoever. X370 + 1800X, then 5700X or whatever in five years? More money for no reason and you will be on an, at that point, 12 year old motherboard. Also, if you run Windows, good luck with keeping Windows 10 for 10 years, because 1800X cannot run Windows 11.

But hey, your foot, your gun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Necrosaro My brother in christ, you should not buy the 1800x if you want to keep it for a long time.

Dont get me wrong, it was a solid CPU back in the day, but it also had a ton of bugs and flaws. Bad memory controller, gcc compile bugs, kernel faults… Its a strange beast.

What you need to do is find a total budget for motherboard, cpu and ram, then find balance between them. A good motherboard (which does not qualify asus) should last you 10 years, but your system will perform so much better if you pick up a 5700x or so.

I definitely understand holding on to hardware and rerere, but you’re already keeping the hardware 2x to 3x longer than most people.

2 Likes

At least go for Ryzen 2000-series. 1st gen was very first gen, especially being AMDs first DDR4 memory controller.

1 Like

Who needs five toes anyways right?

1 Like

Atheist haha I don’t need to get a 5700x or anything in the 5000 series. When my brother in law updates his system(I do all the computer work for him)he will hand over his processor which should be in the next few years.

I should be perfectly fine with the 1800x for awhile

Check above comment I made to SgtAwesome. I will be just fine but thanks anyways

Figure of speech.

Alright. If you’re absolutely sold on the 1800x, I can give you a few pointers on how to get the absolute most out of it.

Like I said above, it’s got quirks. Those quirks aren’t anything you can’t live with, but they are to be wary of.

First thing’s first: don’t try to overclock it. AMD really does give you a CPU that’s binned pretty much to it’s max capabilities. You may be able to get another 200mhz stable out of it, but that’s at the cost of a lot of voltage, and those CPUs don’t like to run hot. IIRC, that era of chips really wanted to stay under 80c.

Second thing, for memory: You want to stick with Samsung B-Die memory. Max of 3200MHz is really about all you can get, stable, out of the first gen zen DDR4 controller, so that’s what you’ll be targeting. You might be able to go higher or tighter, but you’ll run into instability, crashing and no-post issues. If it’s an experience you want, go for it, but if you want a solid, reliable system, stick to 3200MHz.

Back in the day, Teamgroup was selling the best 8GB modules, so you’ll definitely want to give them a look. The b-die finder is your friend: B-Die Finder

Lastly, these things are going to feel very different from Intel or your bulldozer CPU. Grab a modest aftermarket cooler, like the hyper 212 and you’ll be doing just fine. IIRC, my 1800x was somewhere around 90w max consumption, and it was a night and day difference from my 3700k. Felt subjectively cooler, way more responsive.

2 Likes

Bought it already for 40 Canadian on eBay so already got it.

Overclock to 4 GHz should be fine I would think from research.

B die or no die I say. Will take a look at team group and also like gskill

Already have a 212 cooler from pile so set there. If that one can handle 1.4 volts 5ghz I should be fine with the new one.

Thanks for the assistance

1 Like

65C was the ceiling I think. Samsung B Die at 3200 with tight tertiary is best, and 4x8 for that interleaving would be ideal. Flare X would work great, it is what I eventually switched to on my x370 board, and could run them at 3866 with x3d so I think x370s aren’t the limiting factor for memory. With my 1700X if I ran 3466 and above 3.7 allcore the voltage required was a bit insane, and iirc keeping vcore below 1.4 was considered the ‘safe’ limit. I had to run a +.05 offset to have a gaming stable 3.9 allcore which usually meant 1.45 volts on average.

1 Like

Thinking of getting F4-4000C14D-16GVK gskill ram. Should be good for now and later

1 Like

Sweet spot for AM4 is 3600 MT/s (it is extremely hard to get memory speeds higher than that, even on a 5950X). Here is a good 32GB kit that should last a while.

1 Like

Wouldn’t 4000 be better and down clock/lower the timings

The CPU is driving the RAM, not the RAM itself. RAM specs is just a measurement on how fast it can go without breaking. So yes, you can do that, but…

Kinda like buying tires with a speed limit of 150 mph - that’s good and all but realistically speaking you are never going to need tires with speed limits over 100 mph. You are never going to drive that fast, especially not on a 4 cylinder Honda Civic. So it is just a waste of money.

For AM4, you will most likely need to overspend a lot on both motherboard and CPU to take advantage of the higher timings, something like the Crosshair Impact which has the world record on AM4. But then again, Overclocking RAM and CPU lowers the lifespan of RAM and CPU.

3600 MT/s is a pleb speed, true - but it is a well tested RAM speed that is not going to give you any direct problems now or in the future.

Oh, and if you want to go above 3200 MT/s you definitely should consider X470, B550 or X570. More info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/ahs5a2/demystifying_memory_overclocking_on_ryzen_oc/

1 Like

My 1700 could do 3.7GHz all core but needed a substantial boost to vcore (+0.25 if I remember) and even more for 3.8GHz. Power consumption was through the roof in comparison to stock frequencies, and temperatures were on the high side (even with a Noctua D15). Had to keep it below 70C in order for the overclock not to fail. The memory controller could only do up to 2666MHz with 2 DIMMS and 2400MHz with four (regardless of timing tweaking or voltage).

1 Like

Well when it finally gets build it would take some time to learn the new cpu, motherboard and memory. Good to see someone else putting some numbers up on the series.

1 Like