It's Broken Again! DAC Plugged Into USB 3 No Longer Makes Sound

I have a USB DAC that had been giving me lots of issues, stuttering and stopping, and was told to try another USB port. It was in a USB 2 port and I moved it to a USB 3 port, this solved the issue.

To day after finishing up GTA V I exited the game to be met with a memory management bluescreen, restarted as normal and all is well except now the DAC is not making any sound.

I checked all the relevant things. Event manager told me there was a issue with the USB DriverFrameworks-UserMode and nothing will get the DAC back working.

The ports are fine, I have plugged thing in and out to test them. Windows knows the DAV is there and when it tries to play sound all appears well volume level move and such and the DACs light changes colours as it normally does but No Sound Comes Out.

Everything appear completely functional except that it is not.

I have rolled back drivers. Uninstalled and reinstalled, checked for hardware changes. All the usual suspects and nothing. Windows says all drivers are up to date and everything is functional, still no sound.

I can make it work back in the USB 2 ports but that brings back the stuttering and that in turn will stop videos and games to resync the audio which if I am on line mean stopping my character in place till resync and in a race for example will put me back positions, it picks up right where it left off but just freezes for a moment and them continues as if nothing had happened. I need the DAC back in the USB 3 port to fix this but it will not make sound on the USB 3 port even though windows says it is , every application says it is and all appears functional.

EDIT: It is a Driverles DAC so it is windows drivers and all is fine there according to windows so I have virtually no control over reinstalling better drivers. or trouble shooting them.

EDIT 2: the specific Event Viewer error is Event ID 219 https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3164.event-id-219-windows-kernel-pnp.aspx

EDIT 3: If it helps the specific driver that is the problem is USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C93\FA34SW912017 no idea what to do with this information, if there is a specific way to get to it and fix it please let me know. FailureName \Driver\WudfRd

Please help.

EDIT 4: FUCK WINDOWS! Windows updates fixed it. While we are at it FUCK AMD, I want a Ryzen CPU and I want to run linux and put windows in a box so it cannot do exactly this shit, But NNNOOOOO screw your GPU passthrough and vitrualisation. I FUCKING WAITED FOR YOU! This is some bullshit.

EDIT 5: So started up my PC today after everything being fine last night once again and it is dead again. All the same problems. No idea how to fix it as it fixed itself last time through the magic of windows. So now I am completely stuck. PLEASE HELP!!!

2 Likes

When I read

no longer makes sound

I was thinking about the song Car Radio by 21 Pilots.

Anywho. Like you said, fuck Windows!

It is broken again.

I hate Windows

I hate DACs

FUCK PC's

1 Like

Uhm, so what DAC are we talking about?

FTFY

1 Like

Optoma NuForce uDAC3 Driverless DAC/AMP. They do no supply any drivers at all as there is no need for them. I say otherwise.

So it's a DAC/AMP. And you are using headphones, right?
Does the line-out work?
Have you tried a linux stick to test if it is a hardware failure?

Its not a hardware failure, I am using it right now on the USB 2 ports, the USB ports are fine I have tested those too. It is a windows driver issues that windows insists is not a problem even though event viewer says it clearly is.

Yeah motherboard audio works fine too, although this is supposed to be better quality sound, I am unsure and plain ready to not care anyway any more.

Everything works, except it does not.

I'll take that as a no. Well, try a linux stick and confirm. It doesn't take long, it isn't complicated and it will rule out hardware failures or incompatibility issues once and for all.

After that we can look at windows and drivers and what not.

Not to be a dick but did you read the whole post at the top. It has been tested. it works. it will work some times on the USB 3 when windows wants it to.

I have tested it. It is not a hardware fault. it is software, I broke, it self fixed and the same error happened and broke again. I know what you are getting at. It is not a hardware fault.

All Linux will do is work perfectly because it does not have this driver issue because it is not Windows and I will be able to fix it manually if it goes wrong.

I need a fix for windows not linux. Trust me i want Linux all the time, It does not have games and pass through is not an option.

There is a specific driver fault with this DAC on the USB 3 ports, Windows knows this, but will not do anything to fix it as it is all working. The USB ports are on a controller, I am going to redo the drivers for the USB 3 ports now but once windows decides it does not want to work again I am shit out of luck.

I did. And as far as I can see, you are still running that same windows install.
That is not how you rule out hardware errors. You have to remove software as a variable.

I have sevral driver-less DACs, never had issues... It might be some USB interference issuees, along with driver/ windows problems. Have you tried it on a fresh install?
Also this may help http://schiit.com/products/wyrd

"The Cure for Noise and Glitches
Have you ever heard strange noises from your USB DAC? Or have you had it “drop out” after the computer goes to sleep? Or does your computer have trouble recognizing your DAC at all? It could be due to noisy USB power, or USB port power management. Wyrd has you covered—Wyrd is the only USB decrapifier that includes a linear power supply (not a noisy switcher) and precision 2.5uV LM723 regulators with discrete pass elements for up to 200,000x less noise than what comes out of your USB port, up to 500mA—the full USB 2.0 spec."
Straight from SCHIIT, sounds a bit like the issue you are having.

Thanks for the input, unfortunately this is a different set of issues.

Yes it works in ubuntu, now back to where the problem is. Windows.

It is a driver problem.

How would I fix a DRIVER PROBLEM that I have no control over.

OK, onboard sound is switched off in the BIOS?

Do you have a clean drive on hand?

I can make one in a pinch, but for reinstalling windows that will be a tomorrow thing.

On board audio is on for now. I will give it a try.

I understand odd things happen with but windows is telling me the problem directly in the Event Viewer, I just need to know what it is trying to tell me. it even names the driver but in a random string. Is there any way to just get straight to that and fix the direct issue rather than reinstall windows, if that is the only fix, I will just plain not use this thing. Questionably better sound is not worth that at all.

I just have a thing that I know works and regardless of what it will or wont do for the sound I just want to fix it because things that are broken in this manner should work. It is just annoyance now that I paid for a thing and windows is not using it correctly. It works fine but windows is the problem, however other than this one thing all is well and given it complete lack of stability over the past few yeas I do not want to disturb a stable system.

I had a problem like this with my Micca Origen.. Not sure if this will work, but I made sure that windows was not downloading the drivers for you when you plug it in. I think that setting is in the windows update section. I imagine that this is the problem you're experiencing.

But it does not have its own drivers, it uses the windows ones and the windows ones broke and windows know this but seems to be fighting itself and saying they are not broken even though event viewer is throwing critical errors over it. I just need windows to agree with itself so it can get over it. all the solutions I am getting are completely avoiding this and the information and just paving over windows to solve a USB driver issue.

So windows has to download, or at least use its own. But that is the problem. and only a problem through the USB 3 ports, it is fine through the USB 2 ports, but that has issues keeping up for some reason leading to system pauses to resync the audio and video.

What does the device properties page look like?

All fine like I said. Windows say everything is perfect all the time, except event viewer which is telling me that USB host is unable to.load drivers correctly, but clearly well enough to come across as fully functional.

I mean this is all in the original post. All of it and I have repeated it no less that 4 times now.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Summary

.. whatever it wants. Don't bother.

Prepare a windows stick and a clean drive, install it, let it do whatever updates it wants to do. Do you have chipset drivers?