ITS a problem

I currently use EC2 for my web server, but there’s no way I can pay for enough storage there.

I wish I could play with a VAX system… my school used to have one and the manuals are still floating around, but all of the hardware is long-gone.

I worked for the CS department here last year. I was “fired” because a power outage broke a server and I wouldn’t let the blame go to a student. (last non-admin logged in was getting blamed for the server dying)

Not an issue with University IT, however during one of my CIS classes, we were required to do code on the old Unix mainframe using emacs. I set up a mirror of it running on a BSD box which allowed remote access so I could work on projects easier.

This meant I could code from work and also code from home rather than driving to the university computer lab. I gave out access to all my classmates so they could use it and then my professor freaked out saying everyone could just copy code from each other. Of course this made no sense as each person was on their own account, but whatever. . .

I was forced to shut the system down.

2 Likes

Darn, that sucks. I installed MariaDB for fellow students taking Information Management as the CS department killed all servers that were running (right after we just updated FreeBSD and Gentoo to Debian) including the database used for classes. Now with the issues with ITS, that’s down and I can’t use it for class.

1 Like

On the brightside, it teaches you the perils of working in a corporate environment. There are numerous times I’ve dealt with clueless management and clueless IT guys pushing their ill-informed ideas around to boost their ego. It comes with the territory.

My best recommendation is to never tell anyone anything. Anytime you volunteer you end up shafted. Learn to nod and smile and just do what you want to do.

4 Likes

There are Alphamorons in every career field. Here’s to hoping you get a dean with half a brain for technology and the IT staff sacked.

1 Like

You had to use emacs? Wtfo!? Might as well just chop off your hands.

1 Like

Chop off your hands? That’s good old C-x C-f h

2 Likes

Pretty good way to blend in lol

1 Like