It Just Works (tm) x470 motherboard using Linux

I’ll be using:

• Ryzen 2700x
  • 2 GPU’s (Probably RX580, and something else)
  • Maybe a water cooler in the future

Use cases will be:

• lots of “business/workstation” multitasking, including software development.
  • IOMMU GPU passthrough (for 3D architecture software in windows, not gaming)
  • 4x displays (1440p, and 1080p)
  • video editing
  • “Just for fun” crypto mining during off hours

Things I care about “Just working” ( Assuming up to date modern linux kernel ):

• Fan control
  • Fan speed monitoring
  • CPU, vrm, and all other temp sensors
  • Onboard networking
  • Stable, non buggy BIOS.

Things I don’t care about:

• RGB anything, or asthetics at all
  • bleeding edge overclocking

What motherboards do you suggest, and why? Or alternatively are there any boards or brands I should avoid based on my goals?

Thanks guys!

I have no experience with the 400 series boards and I have not done a lot of research since I build my current rig. In case you are interested in my anecdotal expereince with a x370 board (as the x470 boards are very similar):

I have the Asus prime x370-pro since 3 months after the Ryzen launch and it worked like a charm for me out of the box. It seems like the x470 version is very similar just different (almost identical) chipset. As I understand it, any board should work well as long as you don’t use an APU currently.

• GPU passthrough works
  • multiple GPUs work (although I don’t use anything powerful)
  • (in-BIOS) fan control works like a charm, I never got any sensor reporting in the OS to work though, no idea if that is different on other boards
  • all BIOS version I used were rock solid and there are regular updates, there were some early duds with problems regarding memory, nothing recent though.
  • no wireless, but Intel gigabit ethernet
  • has pump headers (like most boards these days) but I am using the stock cooler (works even with overclock)

Negatives:

• some weird issue with sound on fedora, but it was an easy fix after some investigation with help from this forum
  • RGB, but you can turn it off in BIOS
  • no in-OS sensor reporting for Linux, the last time I looked

Nice board, can confirm. My usecases are way simpler in nature though.
The other board I am using is the X470 Taichi Ultimate and it is just great.

Anyway, my main recommendation would be to wait a couple days for CES and the possible announcements from AMD. Usually with new chips there are new boards.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback!

Do you know how unified the asus line is? Are the BIOS the same across the line from Pro to Crosshair? Do you think Fan control, and sensors would be the same across their product lines?

My concern with not having sensors or fan control in the OS is that during the day while I’m on speaker phone conference calls with basic browser/shell usage, I need the system to be whisper quiet (2 out of 10 for example). But at night, I want to crank the system up and do some mining or 3D rendering work, and I don’t care how loud it is… so I need to be able to dynamically control that based on temp sensors.

Can you set fan curves from the BIOS, or just pick a fan speed, and leave it?

1 Like

I’m ready to build pretty soon, and I’d rather not be a beta test for new x570 boards, but maybe some new announcements will drive the price down on current generation?

X470 Prime is a really good board because you aren’t paying for stupid ROG branding or features. I would say just check the memory compatibility list. I haven’t had good luck with my 3200, and I’m wishing I had done that.

The other thing is, it doens’t support addressable RGB. So even if something says it’s Aura compatible, it won’t work unless it’s the 4 pin, 12v. Any 3 pin, 5v addressable won’t work, and you’ll have to SATA power it.

Overall, thought, the board is rock solid, the BIOS is very good, and it has a lot of premium features that you don’t normally get for the price. Finally, I think it’s aesthetically very pleasing compared to overt “gamer” boards, but I guess that’s more subjective.

I believe it’s completely unified, from videos I’ve watched on YouTube.

You may be able to accomplish this in hardware. Most newer hardware seems to be going the trend of silent when not drawing power. My Sapphire Nitro+ 580s don’t spin their fans unless they’re in heavy use, and neither does my power supply (RM850).

I will check out the fan settings in the BIOS right now…

EDIT: Here you go:

BIOS Pics

img2 img1

3 Likes

The rumors are something like that AMD is adding 4 cores to each of their CPUs and adding a 16 core Ryzen 9 3800 to the lineup. Personally, the accompanying clock speeds and pricing rumors make me suspicious, but if it all turns out to be true the closeout sales on Ryzen 2k series CPUs will be… wait for it… epyc. :grin:

We’ll all find out for sure in three days.

(Also, I refuse to apologize for that pun)

1 Like

I don’t know how unified specific bios features are but I have experience with 3 different Asus boards, all around the last maybe 3 years, two of them Intel and one AMD and the Fan control is pretty similar.

I have set fan curves depending on temperature (I think). My system is pretty quite around idle or with light work (libreoffice, LaTeX, python programming, …) and cranks up the fanspeed on it’s own when I do renderings with Blender or heavy data analysis. It’s still not that loud and never had a reason to change it really.

yep, exactly, price/features and aesthetics were my main criteria. The first bios settings I changed was to turn off RGB :stuck_out_tongue:. With memory I was pretty lucky, I don’t have anything on the QVL and still got 3200 memory to work at 3000 (or close, don’t remember the exact speed).

Nothing to apologize for :grin: If the rumours are true I’m getting myself a 12 core and upgrade my “server” to my current Ryzen 1600. I hope I’ll have enough money on the side by summer. I can make use of all the cores I can get.

1 Like