IT Infrastructure for SOHO

Ah I see.

Yer I noticed Z-Wave is an option, another thing to add to the list to research.

Very cool thanks.

1 Like

quick cheat code: smartthings and Amazon Alexa can bind together, this is one of the very few free ways to gain voice control of your z-wave and zigbee devices for free. there are a few more options now than there was even 2 years ago, but ‘smart home’ is still a huge mess.

Yer seemingly trivial things always take longer than expected and fight you every step of the way.

1 Like

Well, I finished my v1 power consumption estimates for the server.

The HBA card estimate is absolute worst case scenario based on:

https://www.servethehome.com/lsi-host-bus-adapter-hba-power-consumption-comparison/

Having not looked at those models at all hence the blank in the model field, I assume the 30W one is a latest gen PCIe HBA. I won’t be using latest, so I’m probably going to be closer to 10-15W rather than 30.

Same for the NIC. I inserted 20W there, because it was the highest watts I saw for 10Gbps NICs that I could find. Again blank, since I don’t know the exact card just yet.

The video card too is an overkill estimate. The one I’ll be putting in it in the short term will consume 80W at least according to NVidia. The potential one that I’ll be putting in it… eventually is 105W. I don’t think I’ll ever put in the RTX4000. So I’m saving at least 55W right there.

So all in all, right now I’m tempted in getting a 650W PSU. But overall, I think I might put the thing together and test it with my current workstation 750W PSU with a Kill-A-Watt meter. Not sure how to get the CPU to spike up as everyone says these latest chips are prone to doing in benchmarks however so will poke around and see what I can dig up. I guess I’ll just use the same benchmark that was use to spike the W9-3495X to almost 2KW i.e. Cinebench R23.

As for storage, I got a NetApp disk shelf. I’ll post a picture at some point.

Today, I think I finally finished the mental image of how everything will look and function.

Initially, I was trying to cram all my server and networking stuff into a single rack.

Not only would that make for a really expensive UPS, the other two problems were firstly, I have always wondered why some YouTubers have so much free/wasted space in their server racks. It’s not a massive deal of course, but you buy a server rack and put in a tiny switch into it. And secondly, convenience. My internet connection comes into the house in a particular location. Having a massive rack pretty much stuck in a particular location in the house is just sub optimal. I would much rather have a smaller network specific rack which has a chance to be hidden away in that non negotiable location than a massive one. You can always put a smaller rack on top of a bigger rack if you want to place them together, but you can’t hide a massive cupboard thing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if getting a single beefy UPS will be cheaper than two separate ones, but at the end of the day, the networking equipment is very far down the list of things I want/need. So I can buy the server rack now and worry about networking later. I’ll only really need to worry about it when 10Gbps networking is something that I desperately need.

I got the idea from “TCI Productions” https://www.youtube.com/@tciproductions/videos

And then have workstations working off of a cheaper non rack mounted UPS.

RAM ordered… all 128 Gigawatts of it.

Here it is:

2 Likes

Placed an order for a Silverstone RM44 4U case:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/server-nas/RM44/

and some Noctua fans.

Case and fans are here:

3 Likes

Received my NIC today. Intel I350-T4V2.

2 Likes

The server isn’t finished yet, but I don’t want to miss out on the only case that I have been able to find to suit my needs i.e. Fractal Define 7 XL. So order placed.

I’ll worry about the fans later.

1 Like

More boxes:

UPS is here.

I decided to go with the model with highest protection. Having said that I also found out that a UPS doesn’t protect against a proximity lightning strike, so it seems turning everything off and unplugging from the wall is the only total defense during a lightning storm.

1 Like