Issues with new 5950x, x570 Aorus Master

Hello,

First off I’m new to this community and have watched a lot of the videos on this youtube channel.

Secondly,

I finally received my 5950x today that I had on pre-order from release and have been some major issues with it to the point of having to swap back out to my 3900x.

I experienced issues with blue screens of death, limited I/O i.e gpu running at 8x when previously on the old processor it was running at 16x. Reduced pcie express performance with storage. 10-15% slower in most cases.

The blue screens I experienced in Windows were WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.

What I did to see if I could resolve the problem.

Set infinity fabric to 1800mhz from auto to give me a 1:1 ratio with no success as well as turned off core boosting to see if maybe there was an issue with that.

Reset the bios.

Opened ticket with gigabyte.

Loaded optimized defaults, and let the ram run at 2133. Then use the xmp profile.

Updated the chipset to the latest available on the amd website.

Flashed bios between f30 and f31l on gigabyte’s website. Then ultimately back to f30.

Started RMA process with AMD on the processor. If that is indeed what it is although I’m pretty positive after everything I have seen that it is it.

Confirmed that tempatures aren’t an issue as I ran prime95 and got around 80c on all cores, I also have an nh-d15 so cooling shouldn’t be an issue here.

Swapped back to my 3900x which appears to have solved my issues with system instability, and it has given me back all my pcie functionality.

I was wondering if anyone ran into this with zen3 or is this just a defective part, or a teething issue with a new generation of hardware. I’m thinking that is a defective processor but just looking for any insight or opinions if anyone has them.

Thanks

This sounds like the SoC is starving for voltage. If you bump up your SOC voltage to 1.15 and disable C6 C-states and use “Typical” current idle, do these issues happen again? If so, then it may be a DOA.

Same issues here 5950x and aorus master. My friend built a 5900x machine today with the Aorus master also his scores on the 5900x are way better than my 5950x

his scores are optimized defaults+xmp enabled on the same kit of ram/motherboard and I score 667 single thread 11.9k multi optimized defaults+xmp. We both are on F30 and using rev 1.2 aorus master x570 and the same trident neo ram 3600mhz cl6 but my scores are super low compared to reviews and when I enable PBO it drops to 655 and 12.1k multi. Strangely his scores drop with PBO also tho but not as much as mine.

Is your system actually usable with the cpu in it?

Just head over to the amd forum. Tons of similar complaints, no resolutions but to RMA. Those that did still have an issue. Ryzen 3600X here, same error basically. Random error 18, sometimes others related to the CPU cache. Just AMD B.S., I’m so fed up I’m switching to Intel as soon as possible. I game so I don’t need the extra threads or headaches that go with the AMD “unicorn”.

All I can say is good luck getting any Ryzen Zen 2/3 to work right. It’ll crash eventually for no apparent reason. I built mostly AMD rigs when I had my PC sales/service business which I shut down 2015. So my last dealings were with the AM3+ Bulldozer/Vishera/Piledriver CPU’s. didn’t have many weird issues at all. In fact I had only 2 comeback that a customer insisted on using an MSI board simply because it had a serial port, even though that model was not the best. I offered 3 year parts and labor warranties on all my builds. Now, forget it. I would only build an AMD with a disclaimer.

Sorry but 7 months of this 3600X crashing, IF issues, RAM not running at the rated speed. BIOS updates from hell, causing me to flash back and forth until I found one that gave some stability. I even joined here because I found out that the VRM on my AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4S is on the “weak” list and thought it might be the issue. Reduced RAM to 3600mhz/1800 IF from 3733/1866, so called “sweet spot” seemed to be causing the errors. Was ok for a few weeks than started happening again, less often but again.

Days can go by and it’s fine then boom. Screaming audio/black screen/ reboot that all takes about 90 seconds. Look and there’s error 18. Nothing replicates the issue but games and it’s really inconvenient when it happens. Not to mention it caused me to need to reinstall the OS 4 times. All in a mere 7 months? I built an i7-8700K with an Nvidia 1080i in 2018 and had zero issues, it ran like the wind at 5Ghz out of the box. My first “real” Intel gaming PC. I had a Dell XPS 410 that I modded in 2010, doesn’t count.

Point is the reliability factor was amazing. I want that back. It was stolen, so it’s gone. When I got the stimulus I was torn between this new Ryzen stuff or build an Intel again, with a big renters insurance policy to boot. I figured what the heck, AMD was good before, the numbers from reviews were blowing Intel away, why not? 7 months now I know, why not.

Even if I needed a server class or high end desktop, I would use the best Intel has to offer. Because as good as AMD can be, it needs to work. And work reliably. Besides AMD’s so called leaps in tech, look at that CPU-Z. My 3600X does 531 single and 4290 multi and cost $220 when I bought it. Numbers are too close for a now $300 price difference. If you can find one and if it works.

Maybe in a few years when AMD grows up I might go back, but not right now. They’re issuing CPU RMA’s like candy right now and it’s not the CPU, it’s microcode or something. Too many. That or it’s biggest engineering mistake ever made. All in a push to exceed Intel, they trip over their feet. I look at all the Reddit posts, Google articles, all about solving one issue or another but to no end.

It’s “build it forget it, love it”, not “build it, diagnose it, re build it, diagnose it, wash, rinse, repeat”. It’s the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

I’m done fighting the machine. AMD is like a “cult” now. “SOC too low”, SOC too high", “turn off PBO”, “turn on PBO”, “change the IF”, goes on and on no matter what version of Ryzen. Then your blood pressure be “Ryzen”.

My honest advice is if the 3900X was working, return that bleeping 5950x and call it a day. Jump to the 3950X if the extra cores are that needed but if you got a Ryzen anything stable for a length of time, hang on to it forever. The Threadripper series is one that AMD seems to have gotten right but no good for gaming. I know, new board for that chip.

Just no value in never ending failures. They don’t even hide it. People cling to this belief that AMD will magically fix this one day. That day was due yesterday.

My faith in AMD has waned. I can’t justify spending $250 to replace this while I wait or spend $349 for a 3700X either, same complaints on those. PC sitting for 6 weeks for an RMA is a non-starter. Then imagine I get the same errors using the replacement. I’m not feeling it.

Saving and spending roughly $520 for a Z390 board and i9-9900K that I know will work just fine seems optimal. To think I was going to get a 5600X or 5900x to solve my problem… wow. I joined the AMD forum and got an enlightenment. Peek over there and see what I’m telling you about the 5900X/5950X/3700X, anything “X”.

why don’t you just buy a new mobo? instead of switching complete ecosystems and taking a step back in performance and efficiency?

I know it’s a big read, but if you read, it’s not the board. An i9-9900K is not a step back from a Ryzen R5 3600X. I’ll lose PCIe 4.0 going that route and have no reliability issues while gaining 20 FPS in the game titles I play.

AMD is only good if they work right. Now, they are plagued with issues up and down the entire line of CPU’s and GPU’s. Look at he number of Reddit posts, the AMD forums, do a google search. Can’t you see the number of complaints/threads number in the tens of thousands?

Going to 105w from 95w isn’t a huge leap either. It would be the same as buying a 5600X or 5900X if they worked correctly. AMD has an estimated 5 years until failure with the Ryzen CPU compared to the 10 years of Intel as well. So it’s less to toss out and replace, saving the Earth more in the long run.

What you’re implying is to replace the mobo, which checks out as ok, and the CPU meaning to roll the dice that the next board/CPU will work fine. For the same price as something I know will work with zero hassles out of the box. Because the board I would attempt to use would cost me about $220-240 and the CPU is $249 if I stayed with this 3600X. See? I’m back to the $50 more and it will always work vs. a maybe, probably not.

yea, it seems the 5950x and the 5900 have issues. Crash to desktop from idle even…check out overclock dot net

Bios is being blamed and anticipate the issues to be resolved as soon as Ryzen 6 is out.

This is what I mean about AMD being unreliable and now irresponsible. Well they’ve been that for about 4 years now, actually. How irresponsible is it to even consider releasing a Ryzen 6 when Ryzen 5, 4, and 3 never worked out?

Zen+, the 2700X, 1800X, seemed to work out because they didn’t deviate too far from how the Bulldozer/Vishera CPU’s worked. BIOS is part of it but manufacturing quality is not so good either. No consistency but with RMA’s. Performance wise, if you get a working part, it’s a “lottery” whether or not it will even match spec, let alone be stable with PBO enabled or increasing the IF past 1600mhz. Some won’t hit that but those would get replaced for sure.

Now because I bitched about his CPU for 3 days it’s making a liar out of me and is running as it should. Never the less it will come back to bite me. So if BIOS was the issue how is it stable at all? The 5000’s seem to go this way as well if they initially work. Stable for a bit then error 18, 19, etc. One would think a BIOS issue would be a constant not a variable. The Infinity Fabric I think is the variable here and the fact AMD still uses T.I.M. instead of solder.

The fact the clocks cycle high and low with constant voltage increases to in my case, 1.45-1.48v back to 1.20v over 3 cores at a time must come into play. Eventually one is going to miss it’s timing and , then slam. Instead of this random pattern they all use now, there should be a pattern established that is the same.

To do that they need higher quality silicon so each core is as good as the other. Looking at the rise and fall, switching of cores and how high each core clocks I can see the weak cores vs. the better ones.

I guess while this continues to run ok, I’ll leave it be longer. I will begin saving for the inevitable switch because I don’t believe AMD has any permanent solutions on the way any time soon, if ever. People keep buying the sub-standard, complain and go back for more. Why change that business model? The make fantastic money even if they swap out 60% of their product as RMA. Customer retention remains high, like a “cult”.

Look at Jaguar, tons of electrical and mechanical problems in those cars since day one but people love them still. They are much better now that Ford bought them out. Perhaps AMD needs new owners too. Before Intel passes them for good.

I have the 5950X on an OLD Aorus Master, no issues whatsoever. This thread is full of a lot of B.S.

2 Likes

Hi All,

I just created an account to say this thread is not full of a lot of BS. I just upgraded my 3900XT and B550 Aorus Master to a 5950x and X570 Aorus Master and it sucks. Low single core scores and I HAD A FREAKING boot up message from Amercan Megatrends saying “New CPU installed, fTPM/PSP NV corrupted or fTPM/PSP NV structure changed” but this is 5 days after I’ve been using the PC without ever opening the case or resetting bios!

Could it be a didn’t seat the CPU too well? maybe but I doubt it. Something is definitely wrong with the combination of the 5950x and X570 Aorus Master. The B550 Aorus Master was PERFECT at least for the 3900XT… maybe because the b550 has 16 phase VRM’s and the X570 ONLY HAS 14 PHASES. I don’t know but this really sucks.

Edit: I have the 1.2 revision of the X570 and a 5950x which was manufactured in the March 2011. I was really happy with the B550 Aorus Master and am just plain disappointed in the X570 Aorus Master so far. It could be the CPU but I have a feeling it’s the board reading all the comments of others with the X570 Aorus Master getting low scores and having issues. Hopefully it’s just a bios issue and Gigabyte will provide an update soon.

This is absolutely not true. Even the 1st gen Ryzen chips are TOTALLY different from the old bulldozer ones. They just share the fact that they’re made out of silicon (mostly).

Also I know I’m not part of the problem, but I’ve never had issues with my 3700X + Asus Crosshair VIII Impact. Sure, it’s more expensive than any of the boards mentioned in this thread, but making a blank statement regarding AMD “X” CPUs not being reliable it’s not totally correct. Not defending AMD whatsoever here, just point out that this thread might be spreading not correct informations.

My board has a 4 (doubled with 8 power stages + inductors) phases for the CPU, nobody has ever reported that as an issue. Buildzoid did a very positive video on it too. CPU phases is not everything and I don’t think that’s the issue with that board.

Not the same rating, even if they both use watts. Can’t compare them that way.

The only fights I had with my system were with the Logitech Streamcam webcam and a cheap SATA to USB controller. I think there are lots of tweaks gone wrong that trigger all these issues and BIOS that are not written decently by most manufacturer. In my case I’ll say that Asus did a good job, no major issues to report here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.