Issues with Mellanox 10GBe NIC and Freenas

Hi,
I am trying to upgrade the network connection between my NAS and my main PC to 10Gb however I am having issues getting freenas to boot with the NIC installed.
When booting freenas first has issues trying to start the DHCP client and then crashes with the error code “Fatal trap 12 fault while in kernel mode”.

I have tested the card on my windows 10 PC and it looks like it is working fine.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks in advance.

I believe there are issues with Mellanox SFP+ cards in FreeBSD. Chelsio is a better bet.

Edit

Nvm…

What model NIC is it?

1 Like

It is a Mellanox 59Y1906 dual SFP+ card, I am using Mellanox MFM1T02A SFP+ fibre transceivers with it.

In case it is useful Freenas looks like its using this driver: Mellanox connectx VPI v2.1.6

I’m pretty certain these are the cards that I’m running in my FreeNAS box. Though I’m not using the fibre transceivers. Are you running FreeNAS 9 or 11?

2 Likes

Sorry I should have said that in my first post but forgot.
Its Freenas 11 which is up to date with the latest patches.

1 Like

Perfect. I will have to spin up a FreeNAS box to test this. If I can get my cards stable on FreeNAS 11, would it be possible for you to use SFP+ cables instead of the transceivers, or are you tied to them?

1 Like

I would greatly appreciate that.
I don’t own any of those cables but I am willing to purchase some in a effort to get this working.
Does what SFP+ transceivers are being used make any difference? I thought the OS just sees the network card and the network card deals with the transceivers.
Thanks

I would expect it just sees the network card and then that’s that. I just want to keep the transceivers on the table as a possible failure point. I’ll test my cards in FreeNAS since that doesn’t cost any money.

1 Like

Great, thanks for the help

Macroreer has cheap DAC cables on Amazon.

Good alternative to fs.com if you want to use prime.

The VPI is a Virtual Protocol Interconnect Driver. Designed for Both Infiniband and Ethernet.

The VPI drivers… seem to have issues in FreeBSD. if it installs a control software to manipulate the device it may be possible to put it into EN mode. If not, you need different cards for FreeBSD.

1 Like

Thanks for all of your replies.
I am currently looking for the control software but I am not having much luck. If i cant find it in a couple of days I will try and buy a different cheep 10Gb NIC.