Issue with Ryzen 5 3600x temps [Solved]

So I’m fairly sure I have a bad CPU, but here’s story.

I was upgrading to a Ryzen 5 3600x from my 1600x and to a new motherboard, Asus x570-P.

They both arrive and I got them set up. First thing I notice is that my CPU temps idle high (around 40C to 50C), I thought ok, maybe it’s an offset thing or something, so I get the latest chipset drivers, update windows, update to the latest HW monitor and GPU monitor (has a CPU temp measurement) and I get Ryzen Master just to be sure. They all report the same temps and idles. (Of course I ran everything one at a time). Then I thought could be the cooler. So I tried the stock cooler, a Noctua NH-U12S, and a Deep Cool Captain EX white, there was NO CHANGE to the temps, they were all the same at idle and load.

Then I thought, maybe it’s the motherboard, so I went back to my old motherboard (MSi B350 Tomahawk Arctic) I flashed the BIOS, and installed the 3600x…SAME DAMN TEMPS!!!

Is it just me, or do I have a bad sensor on the CPU? Or a bad CPU in general?

Full disclosure, since the temps seem so high, it does seem to thermal throttle and all core clocks seem to settle on 4.1GHz. Whenever I run cinebench R15 I get between 1595pts up to 1605. I know the 3600x can do a bit better than that consistently. When running the benchmark temps go as high as 76C (and that’s on the Deep Cool water cooler on stock clocks!)

I also tried lowering the voltages to 1.3 - 1.35, all it does is lower its performance.

I REALLY wanted to do a all core overclock to 4.3GHz, but at this rate, it doesn’t seem like I’ll be able to.

So…bad cpu, right?

I don’t think so. It seems like voltage control in the BIOS has issues in general on X570 at the moment.
If you are on windows you can try that Ryzen master software thingy, that seems to be working better for now.

Or just wait a bit. Things will even out over time.

@noenken, that’s just the thing, the same thing is happening on 2 different motherboards with very different chipsets. MSi B350 Tomahawk Arctic and the Asus X570-P. Both updated to the latest BIOS. Also both have been updated to the latest chipset drivers.
I also did try Ryzen master, as I’ve mentioned in my original post. It reports the same temps as any other monitoring software.

But yeah, maybe things may iron out over time…I REALLY hope.

Hi there @nerodante87 . I built a Ryzen 3600X system today on an MSI B450M Mortar motherboard. Using the stock new Wraith Spire cooler, I too get around 40-50 degrees at idle according to the Ryzen Master program.
Don’t think we’ve got bad CPUs although I’m not certain yet about what is causing the high temperature readings.

1 Like

Do we even know where the temps are being read? I mean there could be massive differences between the chiplets and the I/O die, right?

2 Likes

So from all the reviews and tests i’ve read/watched to date, your results fall in line with almost everyone else.

Ryzen 3xxx in general doesn’t seem to overclock at all and most people have Problems reaching the rated all-core boost at all. Wendel said some things about that in his 3700X review (i think).
Also, Voltages being high in idle states seems to be normal as well.

Not sure on those temps, but 60C is well within spec. It might just be the case, that they are designed to not go lower (and most reviewers report similar temps).

Overall, i think, it’s just a case of Zen2 being a completely different thing than Zen or even Intel. Measuring those chips and expecting similar results seems not to work.

Also, keep in mind, that the rated max-boost clock is for single core only afaik. And it gets lower the more Threads you are using. So 4.0 could be pretty normal…

2 Likes

That’s probably because both boards are using the same agesa version. Sit back, relax, and wait for updates.

1 Like

You have that ryzen driver and does it actually downclock?

You can play a bit with the power setting, minimum processor state, mine defaults 90% and back with shittier taichi bios I had to keep it like 0% as either voltage or hertz just didnt play along at all and maybe it went halfway down with either one

1 Like

What are your idle clocks?

Has some good info on the cpu not idling properly ATM.
1 Like

Thanks @oaknut, I’m glad I’m not alone on this.

So from what I described on my original post. The readings were taken from two different chipsets/motherboards, X570 and B350, with their respective latest drivers, and three different monitoring softwares, GPUz, Ryzen Master, and Hardware Monitor. All three monitoring tools were run one at a time so no other monitoring software interferes.

I used to think that the sensors were in the motherboard, but since I’m getting the same temps on both, I’m guessing it to be either on the CPU itself or it’s a software issue.

You have a good point, to be honest when I bought Ryzen 1st gen, I waited 3 months. This time I got it out the gate, so it is likely that it’s teething issues, as Wendel said.

Yeah I checked the power settings. I have the minimum processor state at 5% and maximum at 100%

Going from the video @mutation666 posted, along with all of you answers, it seems that the BIOS/software just need more time to mature.

But the main culprit seems that even background apps seem to keep the CPU at a higher voltage state for some reason.

I’ll test this out when I get home from work.

1 Like

LOL lowers performance at same clocks? Thats not exactly possible man. Look ill be frank… keep it under 1.35 and your good. You want to do 4.3 GHz on a newly adopted platform? This doesnt seem realistic. Just wait for the EFI to mature a bit its not the CPU but the mobo manufacturers…just chill and wait 4-6 months for things to even out before pushing your overclock

Lots of EFI tweaks can prevent the OS from controlling the clocks as much

Yes it is!
Nvidia cards since pascal behave the same way. Voltage is way down, clocks remain the same, scores are awful.

1 Like

The voltages cant go up. The gaming and enthusiast community literally has the reason wrong…

The reason is electro-migration… Voltages can no longer safely operate that high

We are talking about loosing performance on lowering the voltage a bit while clocks (appear to) stay the same, right?

We are talking about how undervolting has little significant impact if done correctly. That being said the reason you dont want to push voltages past 1.35 V on ryzen is for electro-migration reasons amongst other things

Again, I don’t think you understand what is beeing said.

OP tried increasing clocks

and got “thermaly limited” so he tried to decrease voltage

wich resulted in lower performance at the same clocks.

I get what you are saying about overvolting and what effects it has. Wich is nice to know, but not helping when the question is what lower voltages do to performance while clocks appear to stay the same.

1 Like