Issue with Pop_OS and Wicd / Starting linux tips

So I have a small issue in that I am diving into linux as my daily driver after talking big for the past couple years. I never liked Ubuntu too much but when Pop_OS came out I got really interested. I loaned my old 2011 Macbook Pro 13in to a friend a while ago and had Ubuntu, they gave it back to me saying all these various things wrong with the machine. The wifi wouldn’t work on WPA2 Enterprise systems, the ethernet jack was broken, etc, etc. Well, my main laptop broke and I have to keep working so I broke out this old bad boy and immediately my friends who was raised entirely on linux showed me how to fix just about all those issues. I also ended up installing Pop_OS which fixed a few issues but one that remained was with any of the base network managers, it would not connect to a WPA2 Enterprise wifi network. Until I used Wicd. I absolutely love Wicd and while it has some issues I can see myself using it a lot. The only issue is Pop_OS does not like Wicd one bit. I finally got the “right version” of Wicd but it still will say “the computer isn’t connected to a network” every time I go into the PopShop or anything Pop_OS specific. I also don’t like that it won’t show an icon in the corner when WiFi is connected. Either way, any suggestions feel free to throw my way. My friend has suggested using xfce which looks pretty great from what I’ve seen.

Any suggestions on fixing my issue or just improving my linux experience overall?