Issue installing Windows on X670E-E (Can't create partition)

Hi all, I have been pulling my hair out for 5 hours trying to get Windows to install on my new custom rig:

ROG Strix x670E-E motherboard
7950X CPU
3080Ti

For some reason, no matter what I try, I cannot install Windows 11 or 10. The windows installer will not allow me to get past the partition creation

Errors given depending on the BIOs settings:
" We couldn’t create a new partition. [Error: 0x908185d0].
or
“Setup was unable to use the existing partition because the system volume does not contain the required disk space.”

The drive is completely empty with 500GB free. It is a Samsung SSD, not an NVME.

Things I’ve tried:

• Disabled CSM
  • Used a different flash drive
  • Tried installing 10 and 11
  • Made sure my drives were set to AHCI
  • Manually create a partition using the command prompt
  • Wiping out the drive in Linux and reformatting to NTFS in linux
  • Updating the BIOs to the latest

Any pointers guys? Has anyone run into an issue installing windows on these new Ryzen CPU’s? I really hate windows but need it because of one stupid game. Thank you :slight_smile:

I got my linux installation up and running nice and it runs perfectly.

Have you tried running a Diskpart > Clean on the SSD? I’ve had some weird experiences when drives were previously part of a storage pool that required a clean before the disks were usable anywhere else, tis strange stuff.

Yes, already tried the clean method as well.

Update: I installed windows through a VM but now I need to have UEFI see the partition so I can boot into it through BIOS. I think maybe this is a flash drive issue?

Maybe a different SATA cable?

I’ve seen this before, it seems to be caused by windows seeing other volumes besides the intended installation target and becoming upset with the size or permanence(removable media).

One way to resolve it is by manually copying over the cd contents into a boot partition you create on the target drive and then rebooting without the removable media.
Shift+F10 will open up a command prompt during the windows installer for you to use diskpart to create the partition needed and then xcopy to copy everything over from the removable bootable media onto the partition you just made. then you just reboot and the windows installer will run from a partition on the target media.

Alternatively you could use ISOs the way god intended!
/S

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.