Issue - Gigabyte X570 Aurous Pro only one of two GPUs working at a time

Hi,

I’ve read multiple issues about my motherboard but nothing seems to be similar to my problem.

My goal & problem (short version): Two GPUs in my system (Passhrough). Want to get output on the AMD one but only get output on the NVIDIA one. AMDs fans don’t even spin up.

Disclaimer: The whole setup worked before with a different motherboard (Asrock X570M PRO4).

First of all my current setup:
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (newest BIOS)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
GPU1: Gigabyte RX 590 (Gaming 8GB) (referred to as the AMD GPU)
GPU2: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 Ti (referred to as the NVIDIA GPU)
RAM: 4x16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Storage1: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB, M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4)
Storage2: Samsung 860 Evo (or something similar, SATA 1TB)

As stated in the disclaimer, the whole system worked before I changed the motherboard from an Asrock X570M PRO4.

My Issue: It does not matter in which order I insert the GPUs into the Motherboard (x16 slot and x8 slot) or which GPU I select to be the “one to show output on”. I only get output on the NVIDIA GPU NEVER on the AMD one.
In fact, the fans from the AMD GPU never start to spin.
Both GPUs are working fine, when insertet on their own, in any PCIe slot.
I also swapped power cables between the cards.

I’m currently in contact with Gigabyte support, but they are telling me that my PSU is not working correctly, because the BIOS reports a voltage of 11.88 on the +12V rail and 4.98V on the +5V rail. Which is right on the edge of any tolerance. (FYI: opencorsairlink reports 12.16V and 5V after booting the system).

I hope you guys can help me or at least point me into the right direction. I’m getting frustrated.
If you need additional information, feel free to ask.

Thank you in advance!

For good measure some “screenshots” of my BIOS config.
EDIT: Both GPUs are installed with the NVIDIA one in the x8 slot. As you can see, the AMD one does not even get detected:

From your screenshots looks like only one card is detected in pcie16@x8 ? Or you had only one put in when doing screenshot?

When you boot to Linux do you even see second card with lspcie?

This is very interesting for me, because I ordered same mobo, for same purpose…

Thank you for your reply.

I should have specified: The screenshot was taken with both GPUs installed. The NVIDIA one in the x8 slot. This is why there is only showing.

If I would remove the NVIDIA one, BIOS shows me the AMD one in the x16 slot.

I have to check lshw. Give me a second.

This behavior is in fact very strange.

Maybe bifurcation on auto detecting wrong thing.

lspci does not show the AMD GPU

Yeah, seems like all lanes going for NVidia.
Also you can, try different bioses. Im my current setup x470 aorus ultra, I had to stick with older bios because only one worked properly out of 10 or so :wink:

Good idea, I changed it to 2x8 but again, no change.

What if you put nvidia through chipset (third x16). O and try to disable bifurcation with AMD in first x16

BTW: This mobo doesn’t have primary display selection?? That sucks :confused:

I’m currently trying older BIOS versions.

I set bifurcation back to auto.

Sadly I cannot test the third x16 slot, because the case isn’t big enough. I also do not know if it is good to let it run over the chipset. On my last mobo I ran the NVIDIA GPU over the chipset -> chipset fan made a lot of noise -> chipset got very toasty ~100°C and the system crashed :slight_smile:

The motherboard has an option for primary display, its called “initial display” or something. But the seems to be ignored.

Good. Doesnt work, because it doesnt detect another card. Should work eventually.

Try that bifurcation off with amd in first slot.

Also there’s some ASPM setting im not familiar with. Whats inside?

ASPM stands for Active State Power Management, may be relevant. I can set it to L0s Entry, L1 Entry and “L0s And L1 Entry”.

I’ll trying them out right now.

I know what acronym stands for. Just not sure what settings they put in there. Sometimes they have strange ideas.

Also I would take out NVME and SATA for this troubleshooting

I’d take out mobo out of case, much easier to work with.
Also, because GB support is full of sh**, you can tell them it works fine in third slot (if it works)

One more thing, do you have any other GPUs lying around maybe? 1 slot preferably. You can check some things with them.

One one more thing, did you disable CSM?

Took the board out, removed all drives and put in on the mobo box on my desk.

NVIDIA in the x4 slot at the bottom (cannot seat it fully, cause it sits right ontop of the power button [thank you Gigabyte]).
I get both GPUs!

Moving the NVIDIA GPU back up into the x8 slot: Again noting.

CSM was enabled the entire time. Disabling it kills everything :slight_smile:

I got in contact with Gigabyte Support again via phone. Some higher level executive told me the following:
“The cards do speak PCIe Gen 3 but an older version of it. Newer AMD CPUs are not compatible with it.
The only solution would be to update the GPUs with a newer BIOS if it exist.”

What do you think about that?

Thats bummer. UEFI only has to be enabled, or you will have bad time with passtrough. It is still possible, because I was doing passtrough even before UEFI was a thing, but compatibility is bi***. UEFI is way easier.

Yeah, that’s not exactly BS. Because I have some old cards that don’t work with new mobos anymore. However, did you tell him that they work separately just fine?
Other than that someone more knowlegable about PCIe communication would have to wage on it, because i’m not that familiar with details.

Also if its true, I would recon that rather 980ti is the culprit (doesn’t make proper handoff, or sth), as it is older card. But like I said, I would also try other cards I have lying around.

Hopefully someone who knows PCIe better than me will check this. For now all I can do, is let you know when my mobo comes, but it will be probably month or so. But I can test gtx 1060, 1070, 2060 and radeon 280x. I have also some quadros available if need be.

Maybe you can lend like 1660ti from someone and replace 980?.
Also as a last resort you could flash bios, but only after you make sure its GPU’s fault, and it could brick it. Imo better to sell it and buy used newer one.

One more thing, does UEFI only start with just AMD? The same for NVIDIA.

Yeah and I forgot about that. So if its working trough chipset, then its pretty sure that lanes are not assigned correctly. And honestly if you cannot change anything else in your hardware, this would be the way to get it working, because cheapest to replace would be bigger case.

Also if you decide to return mobo, then you may have better luck with B550, because second slot usually goes through chipset on them. But it will have other issues, like you will be probably stuck with just one nvme. And iommu groups are not that great, ACS patch may be needed.

But regardless of anything I said, I think its time to upgrade your lovely 980 ti :wink:

Yeah. Thank you very much for guiding me through this and your recommendations.
I tested with and without UEFI and in both cases the NVIDIA GPU spun up.

Running the GPU through the chipset is not an option for me, that was the reason I switched to the Gigabyte mobo. The Asrock one (where the GPU ran though chipset) was running the chipset fan at 4000 rpm and the chipset ran so hot that the computer crashed :slight_smile:

I’ll buy a tasty RX 6xxxx and finally retire the 980 Ti :sob:

Good choice, new AMD cards dont have FLR bug anymore, so it should work fine for passtrough.
But availability may be bad, so you may consider 1660 ti, to tie you since then. It runs everything faster than 980 ti at over half lesser power bill :slight_smile:

Its awesome card imo.

Yeah, was really happy when I heard about FLR.
Thank you for the recommendation, I’ll consider that.

Your’e, welcome. Still someone who knows better PCIe communication quirks may help you.

I hope so :slight_smile: