Is X99 for me?

Yeah I have more or less decided on a 6800k at this point

1 Like

Maybe check out something like the E5-2670. They're about 50$ on ebay, pick up a dual CPU motherboard and boom. 16 cores, 32 threads for about 300$. That is just an idea though.

EDIT-Doing this would be cheaper then the 6800k if that matters

1 Like

And you get about 400 million PCIe lanes, which is nice xD

Yeah, two used 2670s and the ASRock board (new) cost me about the same what just the 6800K is. And it is waaay faster in multithread tasks.

Can you link me the asrock board you are using?

Any issues with the lower clocked CPUs older xeons for current gen games? My biggest thing with a 2670 is losing out quite a bit on anything thats not optimized for a ton of cores

1 Like

Depends on the boost frequency the CPU has.

2670 apparently has 3.3ghz, which should be fine for gaming honestly.
The fact that those two have a combined 40mb of l4 cache along with 8 channels of memory in total, that will help push the IPC up somewhat.

THIS IS THE BOARD.

I already linked my build a few posts earlier. Full specs are included. -> CLICK <-

I don't game on that machine. But the amount of games that really depend on CPU is tiny. The boost clock is 3GHz on all cores or 3.3GHz on a single core.

I would go x99, the extra two cores will help a lot in rendering just about everything, not to mention most of these chips can OC to 4.2Ghz pretty easy if you need a bit more single threaded performance.

I personally run a 5930K, but I have never tested it against a i7 quad core.

any of the 6 or 8 core parts on X-99 will serve you well. if you dont mind risk reward used xeons off ebay will net you a 10-12 core for the price of an 8 core.

If you don't like lotteries stay away from the ES (engineering sample). Those can have problems that aren't obvious.

Yeah pretty set on X99 now, wondering if I could pick up a 5960x used somewhere. If not then 6800k is in my future

it might be a while before 5960x come up on the used market for a realistic price or for near the same price of a 6800k

well as an update to this, I went balls deep and got a 5960x at microcenter for $800. Coupled with the new Gigabyte Designare EX mobo. Ended up getting a friends and family discount through a friend and saved about $350 off list prices.

It would also appear that i have won the silicone lottery, as most people seem to be topping out at 4.5ghz on the 5960x.. Mine is hitting 4.7ghz @ 1.3v right now. I think I can push for 4.8 or 4.9 though, as I was hitting 4.5ghz @ 1.2v and 4.7 was running windows fine just crashing after 20min~ of stress tests @ 1.2v. gave it 1.3v and left it alone. Temps sitting around 65C.

Taxing my poor 750w psu to the absolute limit though. I'm not going to push it any higher until I get a better power supply. Ended up having to disable my 2nd 290x to keep the power at a MERE 650 watts from the wall (aida64)

So with this installed I re-rendered a video that I had previously done with my 3770 that took about 1hr to complete (30min video)

The 5960x finished it in 22 minutes flat. I'm impressed and I think money well spent

2 Likes

FYI. F&F @ microcenter takes place for 10 days at the start of every quarter. Also, NOICE.

Also, F U for the silicon loto. My 5930K has issues at 4.4 @1.3v

We have had a couple 6800ks we can overclock to 4.0ghz which is a significant performance bumps. the 5820ks we were not as lucky.. anecdotally 4.3-4.5 is the max you'll see typically across all of brodwell e, with 3.8+ being mostly attainable on some or all cores.

you won the silicon lottery.. I went through about 10 5960Xs and 4.5/4.6 was all I could reliably git on like.. 2 of those. careful for coltage peaking past 1.3v it can significantly shorten the life of the cpu

@wendell has commented on my thread. The internet gods smile upon me!

For your view pleasure, I shall include some eye pr0n as I play with my new camera lens.

Many tears, sweat and blood have led me to where this PC is now. The astute among you may notice, the SSD's dangling unmounted in the background. The award cant of the top radiator with its ghetto bracket I made from two metal plates. The woefully over stressed power supply (soon to be replacedā„¢). The dark plasticiser stain built up on the reservoir LED tube. The two sticks of DDR4 out of 8 slots. The almost bent-completely-in-half top GPU despite it having a full cover block and backplate its entire life. The numbered scotch tape on my sata cables to make sure I don't forget what RAID goes where. The upside down logo on the cpu bracket (and if you've ever fought with one of these idiotic XSPC blocks you know the struggle and why I don't care to fuck with it now).

Its still a mess to me, but I'm still happy with it. Definitely worth the money.