Is Windows 10 as bad as people say it is?

If this is for a new build just buy windows 7-8 for cheap and then update to 10. While you still can that is.

If you are worried about this data collection blocking thee domains on the network level by forcing your computer to use a local DNS server instead of your ISPs might be a possible solution

Your computer knows the IPs allready. Put up a proper firewall and burn every outgoing traffic in the first place.

I've had to defrag after every update. :I And for anyone going kek, I don't use IDE in systems that have sata so shut up.

As for:

Nope. Absolutely no- well no NORMAL way. They made it clear by making the OS free that you pay with data mining. And while I hate having it on my main desktop, windows is a standard for some god damn reason. Now they are making it a linux peice by peice, which is............ interesting....? Its definately SOMETHING at least. My problem is I am a FOSS lover using an OS that fucks with you.

"BUT GAEMZ"

I can do without some titles to be honest. I'm just really sick of windows' shit but everytime I stray away from it on my my main system, unless I am using my nvidia 9800, the AMD drivers wake up and scream that they identify as retardkin and then everything runs slow as balls. I am excited about the open drivers, I really am, but I don't have a solid system.

Now for a normal person who doesn't think about this stuff at all, you're probably good. A sheep to be harvested from, but onterwise good. It just bothers me that we're turning into a society that accepts this because "The muslims'll git us"

:|

It's great I like it a lot. Very functional. Unfortunately your asking that question on the wrong sight. Most people here are avid windows haters. Your mostly going to get biased opinions.

Windows 10 is awesome.

the improved window management has me in love, I can't even use linux now because its so great, and its pretty speedy.

now its not without issues, and windows 10 is a bit more of a WIP than previous OSes but its pretty great to use.

Remember kids move all your media away from windows 10 before it hijacks it. :)

3 Likes

Windows 10 is a god damn nightmare. That video alone is scary stuff man.

Use 7 and lock out all updates. Most viruses piggyback on updates anyway.

i love win 10 for a developer aspect.

HOWEVER**** i only run it on my development/gaming PC my other PC's done. for developer it has made it amazing due to those telemetry and support service.

1 Like

I see a lot that people are comfortable with windows 10 and like it because it's "smooth, sleek, and looks nicer than windows 8". They completely ignore the gratuitous amount of their info that is mailed home. Not only is it just asking for a massive hack / identity theft case, but it's also a massive invasion of privacy.

I say, those who are so quick to sign away their privacy don't deserve it in the first place. Don't come crying to me when your computer just deleted some of your bootlegs for you and reported you to the police automatically.

I switched to using linux as my daily driver. It's been amazing. I've managed to find replacements for all my programs I used on windows. Even the few games I still play are available on linux through steam. I have tons of control over my system now, I'm more confident about security when downloading things from internet, I'm using an AWESOME tiling window manager, etc.

3 Likes

i recently "upgraded" win 7 to win 10.
i used malwarebytes anti-beacon to supposedly disable the callback stuff

sofar, i like the user interface
its pretty much 7 with a new shell honestly.
it operates 99% the same as what im used too already

1 Like

Sort of, at least in my opinion.

But bare in mind that I am not a regular windows 10 user, but I do enough servicing for people to know what its like.

In terms of the interface:
I don't like it, but it is what it is. When I see UI menus like this, I know its a response to user feedback.

Mostly dislike it because of all the changed menus, especially the control panel. The windows start menu defaults to online search, which can be terrible for low level machines. Everything is like aero from the previous versions on steroids.

In terms of the system itself:
It is very problematic for many users to be 'always on' and it does not bode well for older dual cores, many of which would run fine (on 7 or 8.1) till the windows 10 upgrade. I've done many upgrades, but also a few downgrades for people who notice immediately how bad it is for speed. I'm not sure what the minimum spec is, but MS should probably take dual core systems out of the loop.

Most of the upgrades went okay for my customers, but some dislike it. Many just dislike how slow it makes their system, and even though the features look cool, end up being useless in execution.

I won't complain about the spying and such, it is a similar setup at apple, in which you can no longer boot into devices outside of their branding. The issue is that MS thought everyone should get this upgrade and it isn't good for everyone.

Much better than 8, but for now it still has consistency issues and you lose all control over you OS you already had on previous versions, as a deliberate design choice.

Unless you do registry hacks and use 3rd party apps, that most will not do, you cannot block most serious data mining. And even if you do you can never be sure you have blocked everything in the OS or future updates. There are just to many tracking system in the OS to feel confident you have blocked all of them.

And this is not a biased opinion, as some here suggested, but these are facts. Whether you have a problem or not with that is the opinion. And i personally do. I only use Win for games and nothing else. Everything else can be covered by Linux.

That's a pretty confident thing to say when you're using a device that has enough personal information about you to build up a profile deep enough to impersonate you, steal your identity and credit card info, and otherwise ruin your life in the wrong hands of someone who decides to backdoor your system or get that data off of the servers at MS. Not to mention any future government that deems you undesirable.

3 Likes

You spelt "avid privacy lovers" wrong.

1 Like

Holy.
Fuck.

That's just downright orwellian the level to which they track you.

Yup, you can't control the updates and few of my programs got uninstalled for no reason.

So, the only way to use Windows 10 with privacy, would be a whitelist hardware firewall. Only let in Valve, EA, Gog and Ubisoft Domains

No. People are just frightened or paranoid of things they do not understand.

I'd suggest reading THIS and change whatever settings will make you feel better about using windows.

I run an software development company and we have been auditing Windows 10 since Insider Preview builds. Don't believe the circlejerk/clickbait buffoons on the internet who don't even work in IT nor know shit about shit.

edit: fixed link

4 Likes

The only way to use Windows10 with full privacy, is install it,
and never connect it to the internet again.
But basicly data tracking and analytics is everywhere on the internet.
And most companies do it nowdays, because thats where the money is.
You could put a tin foil hat on but yeah, its a littlebit too late allready.
Targeted ads are everywhere.

3 Likes