Is Vega 64 a good buy

This is what will be the kicker.

I bought my first Vega 64 on day of release because i predicted the hash rate would be good. I was fortunate enough to get one early, 6 months later i could have sold it secondhand for 1.5-2x the price…

And yeah, gamers won’t get jack shit from these cards for a while, 10 series cards are fast enough, nothing does RTX yet.

Miners on the other hand can fairly easily make use of the higher compute…

These cards will be sold to miners and they will sell out, guaranteed.

Mining may be down at the moment, but those who are committed to mining are still doing it, and these will be way more efficient at it. 2-3 or (maybe, as per Nvidia performance improvement claims) 6 or more times the hash rate in the same power = they will sell out. I.e., i reckon the hash rate WILL be insane, if not immediately upon release, within weeks of release once mining software is tweaked to use the new features.

And once a bunch of people have them the difficulty will go up sufficiently that the older previous gen cards will be basically useless for mining… Thus: whatever you buy, buying right now is probably a bad idea, if you can wait.

large scale mining isn’t based on speculative profitability.

1 Like

It’s not the money, I would buy one myself, if I could think of some reason to do so. I don’t care about 4k gaming, 1440p looks super sharp at the distance I sit from my monitor.

I do care about image quality very much, but realistically the only games that will support hybrid rendering over the next year or two are the ones Nvidia paid off. Everything is a console port and consoles are at least two generations from getting fixed-function ray-tracing hardware, assuming AMD buys-in to Nvidia’s gamble and does it at all.

Before I go let’s get this back to the question at hand, vega

it’s already been answered if you scroll up a bit

OP didn’t let anyone know they had a 980 Ti and he’s resolved to keep it a bit longer because it works fine in linux and he doesn’t game.

The little asian biker was so determined to hide the real performance generational improvement with that “rtx ops” stuff that I am leaning towards a mild performance improvement (ray tracing aside)

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-rtx2070-linux&num=1

Should I give you my paypal info now or do you still want to wait for 3Dmark tests?

No need to wait, you definitely would have won that fifty bucks if you had accepted the bet.

1 Like

lmao

1 Like

It was announced starting at $499 and did start shipping in October. You could buy a $499 2070 earlier this week on Amazon. I was wrong about the performance, which is why this generation is garbage, but I wasn’t wrong about that.