Is Vega 64 a good buy

thought so.

@haptizum

what games are you playing on windows/linux, whats your setup currently, whats your budget?

@Eden

I am running a i7-5930k, 32GB, and a 980Ti. I was willing to spend at the most $500. It would be games like WItcher 3, Watch Dogs 2, not much FPS stuff anymore.

RX-580 is pretty much unbeatable at $210. You could get a GTX1050ti but it’s a pretty big performance delta. GTX1060 would be roughly equivalent but would have to get the 3GB version to be price competitive, which is a shameful thing.

Cheapest card that would equal your 980ti is a GTX1070 or Vega56, and that’s talking like five hundred dollars. Lot of money just to benefit from freesync. I suggest keeping the 980ti and spending the money on hookers and blow.

I dont see the need to replace it. Even with a vega 64 you’re not upgrading a ton in performance.

@Adubs Since you put it that way sounds like I should just use my 980Ti for another year or so?

I sure as hell would since theres still navi and volta to come. We dont know much yet but 7nm vega is supposed to be next I believe. IIRC the 980ti is still slightly faster than the 1070.

Personally I have the 1070 and its more than enough to do 1440p on my 144hz monitor with settings cranked in most games.

yeah, why wouldn’t you

at stock. the gainz when you OC are remarkable

@Adubs Sounds like you saved me some money. Thanks for the help.

just for future reference you should lead with the fact you own a high end card in the first place

sure you can OC the 1070 to push it pretty far but in all fairness is that going to change the experience in gaming?

@tkoham Yeah, I realized I should have mentioned that in the post :frowning:

nah, it’s just a hit of nostalgia every time I think about nvidia chips that still scaled with voltage and gave you actual software controls to mess with

This has basically damned my 290x into being my passthrough card.

nothing like that patented finewine ™ tech

1 Like

One thing i will say is that if you ARE going to wait for RTX 2XXX, you better have your money ready to click “order” asap upon release.

I think these cards will be snapped up by miners very quickly. Buying a previous generation card (either AMD or Nvidia) at that point (NOT NOW) will be quite cheap due to the market being flooded with cards that are no longer energy:performance efficient enough to compete.

But if you buy a GPU right now if you COULD wait a couple of months, you’re nuts.

Forget miners, they’ll be snapped up by gamers right away. I had a devil of a time buying my 1080 in the first month of its release. Had nowinstock.net watching for it, sending notifications, etc.

which is goofy given the architectural changes

Mining is down at the moment and unless the hash rate is insane the ROI won’t be there