Is this SSD completely DED?

So one of my older Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD drive just failed, and I don’t know how “It’s dead Jim” it is. Fortunately I have backups and the data is not that critical.

lsblk: drive is listed but there is no partition or mountpoint
blkid: drive /dev/sda is not listed

GParted: Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda: Input/output error
GSmartControl:

Read SMART Data failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Status command failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: UNKNOWN!
SMART Status, Attributes and Thresholds cannot be read.

Read SMART Log Directory failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x00:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
Read GP Log Directory failed

SMART Extended Comprehensive Error Log (GP Log 0x03) not supported

Read SMART Error Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

SMART Extended Self-test Log (GP Log 0x07) not supported

Read SMART Self-test Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Selective Self-tests/Logging not supported

Read SCT Status failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Read SCT Status failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
SCT (Get) Error Recovery Control command failed

Device Statistics (GP/SMART Log 0x04) not supported

ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x11:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
Read SATA Phy Event Counters failed

If the data is not needed, Last (as in absolute last) resort might be trying hdparm and try an ata-secure erase?

I got the impression you would like to poke around, see if there is anything you an do, but I got nothing. Could try to update he firmware maybe? That might wipe it also, but maybe get the controller responding again?

1 Like

Looks like the controller not working anymore indeed.
So yeah it´s probably dud.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m willing to poke a little, but I don’t trust my knowledge on storage to use this drive after.
Will research and try what you suggest @Trooper_ish.

If the controller is dead, than so be it. First Samsung drive to die on me ever, and second SSD in general after some old 64GB OCZ which happened ages ago.

1 Like

If you haven’t tried reseating, swapping cables, or changing ports, that would be the first thing to do. Ports and cables can fail too, if only because it’s “free”.

2 Likes

Try power cycling it: Fix your dead SSD with the power cycle method - Dave Farquhar

Or possibly try reflashing the firmware. Have you opened up the case to look for toasted components?

For my own curiosity, what’s the firmware version? Is it declaring “ERRORMOD” or only showing something with ~1GB of space?

It could be a hardware failure, or it could be because Samsung has awful firmware quality (see the “Bugs” section in this for the old 840 evo, before they started really trying to encrypt it.)

I’ve stopped suggesting picking up their misc enterprise nvme drives off eBay because despite the flash chips having plenty of life in them, the firmware is still prone to corruption and issues. And I unlike their consumer drive division, the enterprise side deliberately doesn’t make updates available, and coupled with per OEM/model compatibility issues there is generally no possibility for reflashing back to a good state.

3 Likes

Thanks. I just tested all cables. Switched power and SATA from good drive and the drive is still dead. Also tested it with external dock, same thing.

Yes. Fortunately, no such damage. I’ll check firmware version and post it here.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.