Is this finally, unironically, the year of linux?

I havent had this happen nor have I seen it but I’ll take your word for it.

i would not be suprized if linux got record year in gaining marketshare.

3% to 7%? Nice. But… As we all know… Here it comes…

2 Likes

On desktop… more like 0.3 to 0.7%.

2 Likes

No worries. I’ve had it happen once on a windows 10 pro VM I hadn’t powered on in a while. Perhaps fixed in later semi-annual releases, not 100% sure

1 Like

1 Like

no i think not! (the year of linux)
the average user or computer consumer has very little skills in custom configuring a system and will use the os they know regardless of how many problems they may have with it.
many of them wont even consider joining a forum. much less installing hardware.
typically unless they use them in the work place the only things they do are email, surfing the web, and play simple games that come pre-installed.
most of us here on this forum have a much higher level of skills and knowledge.
many here use linux, many use windows, and many use mac os’s
but have also tried other distros!
so the one thing in common is the curiosity and resolve to try and learn something new.
i would say thats a rare commodity!
most people on the street just draw a blank face when they hear the name Linux.

1 Like

The point is, you can either fight with the policies of your OS vendor, or vote with your feet and leave.

I’m done. I’m voting with my feet.

1 Like

Personally…

Not until Wine supports Windows Media Foundation fully through a MF translation layer. This is the biggest hurdle with unskippable cutscenes in Unreal Engine 4 and Unity games.

1 Like

Is there anything we can do to help this?

'But do you get true peer review with open source? I agree with you on the “unique” bit. But what about the control in all the “tailor-fit” distros? Isn’t that some control that people enjoy? I quess you could say people use the tailor fits just to be unique also, though. Or they pick them to be more so.

Every year since about 2003 has been the year of ‘running windows as the primary OS with linux in a VM’.

Why not get the best of both worlds?

You mean run Linux as primary and Windows in a VM?

You can do that to varying degrees now using either passthrough, or ,if the game is only using DX11, likely run it inside of VMware workation using VMware’s 3d acceleration.

I’ve been doing the latter as of late and it actually runs a lot of stuff pretty well. No, you won’t get current AAA games running like that, but a reasonable number of them are starting to support linux lately - either natively or via Proton.

2 Likes

No, it’s not the year of Linux. However, there is definitely a more noticeable shift occurring among the PC enthusiast community though. It’s a solid step in that direction, but there are still countless steps to go…