Is this finally, unironically, the year of linux?

You missed one.

Forced updates that WILL reboot your machine in the middle of active tasks.

For a “workstation” this is unacceptable.

2 Likes

No they won’t, there is gpo for this. Scheduled hours also makes it much nicer.

2 Likes

Scheduled hours is not the same.

if i have a task that is running for several days, then it will. And don’t give me the bullshit of “you should be running a server” because either macOS or Linux client OS can do it. i’ve had it happen. there is a minimum window of 5 (from memory) hours per day.

My hours change and are flexible.

Point is - there is a point to not running Windows (even if it “includes linux”). Control.

1 Like

:thinking: I’ve had upwards of 50 days uptime on Windows 10 Pro 1809

1 Like

And what microsoft supported method did you bypass updates with?

I already pointed out gpo works. You can prevent rebooting until you choose.

Just because you don’t like the answer I gave doesn’t mean you get to move the goalposts.

2 Likes

So far the most I’ve got was 14 days on my workstation at work because for some reason the snipping tool got fucken’ borked and the only way to resolve was to reboot.

I’ve had 3 months but uh… There were memory leaks. It wasn’t fun to use. I’m at about 1.5 right now.

Yeah lol. Not really an issue with a properly managed setup.

2 Likes

If I didn’t leave everything open all the time I could squeeze more…not that I should.

Two groups policies.

Updates had to be manually initiated. I was notified about pending updates, though.

3 Likes

Maybe re-title this thread “Is this The Year of Linux Gaming?” :wink: It seems to have been derailed by Windows fanbois.

Yep, things sure have improved a lot in the last couple of years. The amount of games that ‘just work’ if you “Enable SteamPlay with all other titles” is staggering. Proton is turning out to be awesome.

I wasn’t even planning on playing any games on the new daily driver I built early last year, but I thought “what the heck” and gave it a go. Crikey! So many things ‘just work’ and, when they don’t work perfectly, the issues are usually minor.

I was particularly blown away by being able to participate in a beta of a Unity game being developed for Steam on/for Windows. The developer was really nice, just clicked a few buttons, and viola — a build for Linux. The only substantial bug ended up being caused by Unity itself, was easily worked around by passing -force-vulkan as a startup option to the game, and was fixed with the next release of Unity anyway. The amount of additional effort required to “support Linux” just seemed so small — no wonder we’re seeing more games.

The way I see it: The rise of mobile gaming shattered the whole “develop for Windows only” mentality because Windows crashed and burned on mobile. Development environments were forced to extend so that they could target iOS/Android and continue to follow the money. Linux benefited from this shift to multi-platform support. Add to that continuing efforts from Valve and those working on graphics/compatibility layers, and… here we are. “Linux Gaming” is now a thing — a tangible thing that is growing daily at a rate I, personally, have never seen before. Fantastic!

I haven’t powered-up my Win8 gaming rig for nearly a year. Don’t see any short-term need to do so, either. I’m not ready to format the drive and crush my Win8 Install disk just yet… but things are looking promising.

Maybe 2018 was actually “The Year of Linux Gaming” but it flew in underneath the radar at such high speed that folks just missed it?

It definitely is for me. As a whole, depends what constitutes “the year of linux”.
I think linux has come a long way but still the support is nowhere near windows. The thing where you buy a piece of hardware or software and it just works, or if not, you just download a driver or an update from the web, just doesn’t exist yet on linux in most cases.

Core hardware works and it’s easy enough to get drivers for the stuff that doesn’t out of the box. I, personally, can pick and choose peripherals that have support on linux or just work, and I, personally, can pick and choose the games I play that will work on linux (of which there are a lot these days, a lot more than people give it credit for), and the software that I use.
I’m not too picky and I don’t have a professional workload, nor do I care about most of the modern AAA games infested with drm and proprietary launchers.

For my media, internet and gaming use, linux works great and I’m glad to see more and more games and support available for it. However I don’t see the masses adopting it anytime soon and I have to say, if microsoft got their act together and realeased an os that was usable for me, I would probably go back to windows in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Powershell script that runs at logon to disable windows update services and check every 15 seconds. Not hard to add a secondary function that does this until a certain date/day/ time and then forcefully runs a windows update and then switch back

Every year sin 1999 has been the year of the Linux desktop. It will continue until Linux is dead and gone.

That’s a bit overkill when you could just set a single policy to notify but not download for updates.

I’ve used the GPO to set the Update to 2 - Notify for download and install, but I’ve noticed windows doesn’t obey that for certain updates. So just to be safe, I setup a Powershell script to make sure it doesn’t pull a fast one that bricks the computer (like with the 1809 update)

Setting the update service to disabled works as well from what I’ve seen. Any attempt to install will error out.

The thing is windows will sometimes turn this back on, hence the powershell script to make sure it stays that way

1 Like