Is this finally, unironically, the year of linux?

Well in that case that broke in the last years with amd cards and the kernel / driver issues.

Today, you need to install a specific distro AND install driver AND configure that those drivers will be used AND need to tune performance of the card AND need to tune performance of the processes of the games.

I know because I did that.

And those things are too much to ask for people who are switching from M$.

So no, the YotLD is not comming until 2025 where using opensource drivers is easy and there are some well writting deamons or services that will take care of system config to get the games running.

3 Likes

Eh?

Vanilla out of box install of Fedora 29 here and all my drivers for everything in the system (2700x, Vega 64, wifi, bluetooth, NIC, etc.) work out of the box. I did not need to even visit a hardware vendor site to download a driver (which is a lot more than can be said for windows). Sure thats an anecdote, but…

Yes, if you run bleeding edge hardware the drivers take time to mature. This is only slightly less bad on windows, see the current radeon VII driver issues.

Meanwhile, people give windows a total pass for driver issues. I’ve seen many, many machines have massive stability problems due to shitty cheap bluetooth drivers, shit printer drivers, shit video drivers, etc. over the years. Generally speaking, shit drivers don’t make their way into the linux kernel to cause such issues.

Having to download chipset drivers in order to install windows, load third party shitware from vendors, etc. is considered par for the course. Windows gets a total pass from nearly everybody who bitches about linux being “too hard”.

Fact is, your average end user can’t get windows working properly either.

3 Likes

@wendell

I propose you start level1laptops

get wholesale on diff vendor laptops and sell them with linux preloaded ??

8 Likes

My .02 cents is that we use each OS for getting a specific job done. Linux Desktop has its place and Windows has its place. OSX has one also I for one just never figured out what it was. As everyone else has pointed out it is not the year of Linux Desktop and never will be. Use the right tool for the right job. Take two people and one person will get that job done with Windows and the other one with Linux. My ultimate problem with Linux is the 16,000 sub communities and people reinventing the wheel more than pushing things forward at a faster pace.
Recap Year of Linux Desktop will never be and use Linux for the jobs it does well.

1 Like

“Out-of-the-box” the amdgpu is not set afaik, the radeon driver takes care of the gpu. Although i havent had a fresh f29 install so maybe that has changed!?

still: if you dont set the dpm_force_performance_level it wont performane as well because there is not service nor daemon that takes care of it.

so no, “Out-of-the-Box” is not ready yet.

Why?

Because it doesn’t work for people who dont know how to do linux things on linux

wow rude.

You come to talk about me here too?

/s

This is basically exactly how I feel/think/am.

1 Like

Windows doesn’t set the power profile to max performance either (it doesn’t install Radeon drivers either, for that matter, so you’re SOL with 3d support. F29 DID install the open source amdgpu by default). I don’t even bother with it.

I didn’t do anything for my GPU for it to run full 3d acceleration, with doom 2016 at 150-200 fps just fine…

Literally: install fedora, install steam, install doom -> same performance as windows.

My major complaints with linux these days revolve around opening files from network shares, half-assed/broken smb support out of the box, etc. Most of this is irrelevant for the average home user who is using cloud services or local-to-their-box content.

1 Like

I just can’t get enough of it, sry :kiss:

I know it sounds like bad but I doesn’t mean it like that. It’s just a different approach to things.

It actually does. WinX puts all it has into a game when it launches which is NOT what linux does. It can do it, but you need to tell it to.

Damn, thats dope! Need to check that out!
telling people to use F29 intensifies so goddamn hard

I guess that is a lucky case of the resolution that you are gaming on and on the used vulkan api that is really nice for amd cards.

Try a higher resolution without vulkan, you’ll see what i mean.

Performance being “playable” is IMHO good enough. Witcher 3 also runs fine (i.e., playable, frame rate may even be faster than windows, but i think the graphics may look a tad “different”) and that is through DX11 emulation through proton.

Things have come a LONG way in the last 6 months.

I would agree but if it comes down to it (meaning the normie user) that is not enough.

Linux Desktop would need to behave the same, with the same or easier setup AND same or better performance than WinX.

That is simply not the case yet. A lot of people are working on it and it gets better and better with every kernel release and driver release and mesa update and so on but it isn’t here yet.

And until it is: We can fiddle with it like the happy linux users we are :sun_with_face:

1 Like

You bring up a good point, Linux moreso emulates a desktop, but rarely is that good as the real thing. 144hz is unbearable on Linux desktops in my experience on mainstream distros.

It’s like when a Russian or Frenchman immigrates to the U.S., but all they’ve seen are movies from the 80s and 90s. They kind of fit in and you know what they’re talking about. But, good God, are they weird.

2 Likes

When Linux hits like 6% desktop market share I’ll call it the year of desktop Linux.

Until then the desktop is overwhelmingly Windows and secondarily Mac.

There is no objective standard for what is required for a year to be the year for Linux. Things are moving fast and the future is looking bright, but marketshare and interest are both low. It may subjectively be the year of the linux desktop for you, but most other people simply won’t care. And trust me, someone in 2020 is going to suggest that its the year of the linux desktop, and someone else is going to do it the next year too. I get that it’s nice to root for a team and praise linux as the underdog, but your OS should have no place in someones identity. I’m not calling out anyone specifically for this, but it’s something that I see constantly.

Rather than looking forward to the year of the linux desktop we should set our sights on more tangible things, like new features, and better support for currently undersupported things like 144hz.

I’d totally buy one IF they could beat the keyboard on the Lenovo T420. Every laptop keyboard on the market kinda sucks right now. I mean some are okay but none of them compare to the old Lenovo keyboards.

4 Likes

Traditionally the way this has worked is Microsoft shits on their user base because they have no choice, then we have the flood of people switching to Linux, a small percentage stay, and then the flood back to Windows.

I’m kind of concerned for this process now that Ballmer’s gone. The key component was Microsoft making stupid business decisions.

2 Likes

cool now make my laptop work

I honestly don’t care for Linux in the mainstream. I use Linux as my main OS and really don’t give two shits if someone else wants to use it too. It’s a tool for me to get stuff done and I like how it adapts to my workflow. Something does not work? Someone usually makes it work in some fashion. Linux has always been a hobbyist OS.

1 Like

Never fear, Microsoft has not changed its corporate culture one iota — the waves will continue.

Nah, amdgpu is the default of you’re using volcanic Island or newer.

1 Like

It’s not that I give it a pass, but it hasn’t worked since the XP days so I’m not expecting it to start working properly now. Most my problems in Windows usually comes down to Windows auto-updating an breaking things.

4 Likes