Is this finally, unironically, the year of linux?

Something happened in the last 3 months that everything is just working, no passthrough, barely any library linking, you just install things and they work, specially on Proton.

Remember how GTA V was the holy grail, unachievable except for a select few? Shit is plug and play now. Games are coming out playable for the first time since the creation of the universe. Star fucking citizen is running on linux, can you believe that shit?

Is this finally it, are we in the year of linux, as foretold by the scriptures and promised by our mighty lord?

4 Likes

Possibly. I mean I doubt Linux will take over the consumer market any time soon, considering everything sold in-store in the US either has Windows or MacOS on it, but I know for me itā€™s to the point where I donā€™t even need Windows except for the last couple months Iā€™ve needed it for Premier Pro and After Effects for school. But now Iā€™m getting into web development so I donā€™t need Adobe for the time being, so thereā€™s no reason to be on Windows.

So it really depends on what you mean by the year of Linux :stuck_out_tongue:. I think itā€™s prime time for a good bump in users, but probably not significant enough to hurt Microsoft or Apple.

1 Like

Not really sure, I would say next decade.
I still think there are a lot to be done in regards to ease of use.

As long as people have to ā€œmake linux workā€ and it doesnā€™t ā€œjust workā€ like osx would do (default settings and the solidness of their UX), and how windows usually does with the most common hardware. I would say we still have some years ahead of us.
Iā€™ve had to fix stuff like,

• mouse debounce issues (which w10 fixes by default)
  • the usual NVIDIA BS (sorry, wonā€™t extrapolate, but fedora 29 wonā€™t boot without disabling nouveau)
  • default sound processing, so Christas voice donā€™t resonate with my T480ā€™s chassis (still not fixed, Iā€™ve wasted so much time in pulseeffects by now)

Gotta be honest: Iā€™m on linux because itā€™s fun, but if macOS, directX and NVIDIA drivers became open source tomorrow, I would wipe my drive in seconds.

1 Like

Havenā€™t you heard, weā€™re all going back to Windows now :yum:

5 Likes

I donā€™t think any of this matters for the mass market as long as Linux isnā€™t shipped by default. Heck, i work at an IT company and 90% of employees donā€™t even bother changing their desktop Wallpaper, let alone their OS. And those are techsavy people who work on their PC all day.

I doubt Linux will gain a significant market share as long as no major Hardware Manufacturer ships it by default on a significant amount of PCs/Laptops.

3 Likes

No it will not finally be the year of Linux.

Still thinking 1-2 more years, things will be closer to easy install and working with less hassle and Windows 7 reaches EoL in 2020 and that will go in so many weird directions. At least we are starting to get better numbers to go by to be able to figure out how many people are on Linux in the first place.

Personally I doubt it, thereā€™s just no consumer mass market for it. Year of the desktop already happened when dell made the Ubuntu XPS.

2 Likes

For me, yes. I just installed VMware Workstation 15 this evening too which supposedly even finally has good enough 3d support to do 3d in a VM for a lot of games without any screwing around.

Iā€™ll update with how i went a bit later. But for me, windows remains on only one machine i own as a physical install in my living room, and its days are definitely numbered.

No.

Post must be at least 5 characters.

2 Likes

Just for context, here are some things that have happened since ā€œThe Year of the Linux Desktopā€ was announced:

• Google was founded
  • The Matrix was released to theaters
  • The Blackberry was invented
  • y2k
  • iPhone was invented

There is also an amusing chronicle of this claim:

https://www.avidandrew.com/2011-the-year-of-the-linux-desktop.html

https://news.softpedia.com/news/Was-2014-The-Year-of-Linux-Desktop-467036.shtml

https://linuxaria.com/article/reasons-why-2015-will-be-year-for-linux-on-the-desktop

But youā€™re right, 2019 is your year fam. :wink:

15 Likes

Linux has been usable as a desktop, sans gaming since at least 1998. I know because i was doing it.

ā€œYear of the linux desktopā€ for most people however means games. And iā€™d argue that if youā€™re willing to compromise a little with regards to the number of games, itā€™s here.

The reverse, running windows involves a lot more compromises (so saying ā€œi donā€™t want to compromise!ā€ is forgetting the compromises you make in a windows context) - no source, a user-privacy-hostile vendor, paying money for it, forced upgrades, lower performance, etc.

1 Like

Linux would have had to happen before desktops became irrelevant.

5 Likes

To me the year of the Linux desktop is never happening because, in my opinion, it would indicate people have switched to Linux en masse where Linux outnumbers windows on the desktop.

Thatā€™s just not going to happen any time soon. As far as Linux has come, which is very far, itā€™s still very tedious to configure and use in a lot of respects.

3 Likes

There are an insanely large amount of Linux enthusiasts that disagree. Including the JB crew, Bryan Lunduke, and others.

That must be a new thing. In the article above they hinted at retail dominance and consumer share.

I would argue for most people this isnā€™t a big deal. Despite what RMS and Noah Chileah say, people donā€™t care about reviewing the source code and controlling their computer. Most Linux users donā€™t do this. They trust in peer review and want to be unique (the last bit is my assumption). Very few people pay for Windows, or, rather, they donā€™t view it as an expense since it comes preloaded.

2 Likes

I would have said that Google will bring forth the year of the Linux desktop. But they are moving away from it to Fuschia. Sooooo.

Also there are a lot of applications that people use for work that are windows only, and that stops them from using Linux daily as many people work from home full time or part time.

3 Likes

If we consider WSL to be ā€œthe Linux desktopā€, I wonder if Microsoft will bring about TYotLD :wink:

2 Likes

Windows will still be shat on by the Linux community tho. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Until they buy them all off :wink: I know there are a ton of Linux enthusiasts and Linux users at Microsoft. They let a lot of the dev teams use Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RHEL, whatever they want.

1 Like

An insanely large number of Windows users think that windows is trash as well. I think youā€™re taking those guys out of context. Linux is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. But neither is anything else.

Just because someone bitches about Linux (and Iā€™ll be the first to rattle off a lengthy list of complaints), it doesnā€™t mean it is not a usable option. And in many ways superior to Windows.