Is this ECC RAM compatible with Ryzen?

Please confirm to me that these are compatible and if they'd work with FreeNAS 11.0.

1. AMD Ryzen 5 1400
  2. ASUS Prime X370-Pro
  3. Kingston Technology ValueRAM 16GB 2133MHz DDR4 ECC CL15 DIMM 2Rx8 Desktop Memory KVR21E15D8/16

2 of the 16GB ram module for a total of 32GB.

Please also let me know if there's an intel setup with similar performance at this price.

1 Like

If your looking for someone to laugh comically at what you just said there you got it.. LMFAO same price not even. I am not ridiculing anybody here but on all intel consumer chips that capability is lazed off. You need a xeon and even then they are expensive

1 Like

To get 4c/8t on Intel with ECC functionality you'll end up paying ~$80 more than a Ryzen 5 1400 setup.

As for compatibility, I would say probably? The RAM you listed is not on the QVL for the motherboard, but recent BIOS and microcode updates have brought in much more RAM compatibility than before.

which when we are talking at the small price he is currently building thats a lot.. it can be divested into other parts of the system.

and yeah the microcode updates help. I would not worry too much about the QVL because here is the thing. RAM is built to JEDEC standards and it will generally work at its advertised speeds when we speak of non consumer grade ram.. i.e ECC ram

Is this the cheapest intel cpu that supports DDR4 ECC?

The absolute cheapest Intel processor that supports ECC is the Pentium G3930. It's going to be slower than death though being a 2.9 GHz 2c/2t part and all.

since the speed is 2133 really high probability of it working

the issues i've seen are people complaining about the xmp/xmp2 profiles not being stable, more than the memory was impossible to run in any scenario, like the default/fallback jedec 2133,

ex:
i have the asrock killer sli/ac

i initially had a preproduction bios and even then the jedec timing worked, and with the 2.5 bios the xmp2 is like 90~95% in that sometimes it fails cold boot but within 2(mass majority of the time, which most of the time its booted fine the first time) or 3(only happened twice) and after its booted its been fine, but i could probably just bump up the voltage a bit for the soc/memorycontroller or maybe try bump the memory voltage one tick or something.

but my kits not listed at all in the validation on the site lol.

i mean i cant say its guranteed i guess, but mass majority of the complaints ive heard are related to just oc speeds/not working without them having to do nothing at all

1 Like

I'm guessing this is only a problem when you need to restart or shut off the system for HW changes. That is to say/ask: computer works fine when you just put it to sleep at the end of day? Asking since I purchased a x370 motherboard and am probably going to be leaving it at a sleep state when not using the computer.

well thats just my particular system. id assume if they issue another bios update pretty good chance id be 100%, before it wouldnt do oc at all basically on the memory but with the 1006 agesa is now mostly working with only telling it to load xmp. but theres some stuff i could manually do to probably make it stable just been lazy waiting to see if they do another update lol, as it doesnt really effect me that much, but the soc voltage seems really good chance would do it, since from the overclockers/robert hallock that bumping that just the little bit stabilizes the memory oc alot.

is basically if it doesnt go first shot will add an extra 15-25 seconds or something to the boot time and ill hear a beep code for memory, instead of it booting up in like 15-25, the default memory training is like 5, where itll keep retrying then drop back to jedec if it fails all of them. havent kept track but its like 15~25% of the time maybe where it takes 2 instead of just going the first shot. not sure for sleep mode really lol

the jedec has worked 100% think was initially on bios 1.3 but had updated it through most of the official releases never had issues with the non oc speed. but not that worried about it really, most of my workloads i care about are things like handbrake or whatever which the memory speed doesnt basically nothing for as is usual. and the gaming stuff only got a 60hz monitor so idk lol. never had any issues with the 2133 feeling ultra slow or anything, not noticed literally any difference, but its not inconvenienced me that much so leaving it for now.

edit:
least from my understanding basically the xmp, is in general like regular oc just it has a default profile, so different boards/cpus/kits none of its guaranteed basically, i mean its only a 3000 kit so nothin too crazy but still

Heh, only just noticed the OP is asking about Prime X370-PRO which just so happens to be exactly the motherboard I got for 125€'s. The specifications page does list ECC support for up-to 3200Mhz ECC or non-ECC memory so 2133 should be a safe bet:

It seems that I will bail on Ryzen after all and go with Xeon E3-1220 V6 and X11SSM-F-O. It makes more sense as a server and especially a freebsd-based one. I don't want to buy an unreliable storage server. The price difference on amazon at the moment is $91. I think it's worth it. What do you think?

Another question, will this Xeon setup require a graphics card to post or can I just use the IPMI without a graphics card?

1 Like

according to intel's ARK:

Graphics Specifications

Processor Graphics ‡ None

@w.meri suggested Pentium G3930 would however feature a HD Graphics 610.

I know it doesn't, I just want to know if it can post and fully boot without a graphics card. It will be a headless storage server.

1 Like

well, as long as you don't need a display, I don't see why not.

edit:

From SuperMicro product page:

IPMI

ASPEED AST2400 BMC

from aspeedtech.com:

AST2400 is ASPEED's 5th generation Server Management Processor. With the 400MHz ARM9 processor and the mainstream double data rate memory migrating from DDR2 to DDR3, AST2400 provides customer the best performance server management solution. In additional to the advanced BMC features, the on chip PCIe 2D VGA provides server systems with local display capability without adding extra cost for VGA add-on card. The embedded ARM9 and DDR3 800Mbps meet the increasing performance requirements of the server system.

Might I point out that a better option is around the corner that you could save money for.. Ryzen Pro will have encrypted memory which goes beyond ecc I feel it's kind of innovative and the processor is looking promising but I mean it's all your call