Is this a good option for a low power pFsense machine?

Exactly. And if you've got high bandwidth, there's a good chance your VPN provider will become the limiting factor.

That is a good build, only issue is the limited number of Ethernet. I guess you could get a pro/1000-4p, but those are still prohibitively expensive for me.

EDIT: I stand corrected, Looks like they're down to $50ish.

1 Like

@SgtAwesomesauce @Zumps yeah I can imagine there is enough pushback... but then it sounds like a really legitimate security reason to go forward with it- time will tell, it just takes some of the 'shine' off of my new shiny toy haha.

1 Like

You're fine. I'm actually tempted to get one myself as well.

2 Likes

Hmm, even better. nice!

1 Like

Damn, those are some great offers :smiley: Been an interesting read from the rest of the post since last time i checked this.

3 Likes

For insane speeds a pair of these wouldn't be bad.

And then for the pfsense box one of these

I know that you could connect two PCs directly but there sure has to be a benefit having pfsense in the middle. What i don't know is how much power these NICs use.

look at sfx systems. only 1 ethernet port, you will need to use vlans or hack another port in somehow (perhaps roll-your-own case)
deskmini

Hmmm, might be cool to try this but i dont think i will be using 10Gig internet for my first pFsense router :stuck_out_tongue: Plus i was planing for it to be a mini-ITX build so i only have room for 1 network card :smiley:

1 Like

While the 10gbe chat goes along... Does Pfsense do a good job of bridging 10gbe <-> 1gbe? I'm currently looking at just doing peer to peer between my nas and workstation with 10gbe. Could be a while though still need ddr4 and cpus for the new server board.

The Pfsense folk has announced AES hardware required as at 2.5 so buying non AES chip is definitely a bad idea if Pfsense is the target going forward.

2 Likes

gets angle grinder

NOOO LINUS!

Hehe, Linus and his angle grinder :smiley:

I went to visit one of our datacenters a while back and got really concerned for a moment when in the tools closet I saw an electric drill and angle grinder.

Immediately called my boss and asked "wtf"

He responded with "don't worry, we had to run some steel conduit for the maglocks on the doors."

2 Likes