Is there gonna be a Devember2021?

Title says it all, really. Heard mention of it in the latest episode but I wasn’t sure since I don’t see anything here about it - ANY NEWS?

1 Like

No news yet, but yes, Devember will be happening again this year! We’re currently taking suggestions/ideas for the gaming side of things: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/devember-minecraft-gaming-suggestions-thread

3 Likes

Ah yes of course, anything Minecraft related I take it :wink:

Maybe one of the things that could be done too are some tips and tricks for setting up and using Windows 11 and to wit, those who are looking to migrate over FROM Windows to *nix ?

That is something more peeps seem to be looking for due to the Win 11 TPM/Secure Boot requirements and the like, did somebody say WindowsAdsense :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m so excited I’ve just secured some domains.
I wasn’t around for last year so I’m not sure how it works.
Should I just be checking back each day for a thread to appear?

Its early October… Stop it …

1 Like

the link appears to be broken. Also, if I want to start a devember project now, do I just make a thread with #Devember2021 in the title?

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing.

Although due to circumstance not sure if it’s even a good idea for me. On top of personal stuff putting me at square -10, I’m not sure I’d be able to come up with a goal (and thus outline) and my project would likely be more of an

art-focused thing

A Godot game likely some having code, but likely nothing more than really basic checks/math etc if I even get that far.

So I’m not sure how that’d work for judgement.

They’ve talked about it 2 news videos in a row now and also mentioned that it’d be longer this year.

Not saying that makes it sound like it’s running already, but one might expect info (or something like a preparation discussion thread, or even just a locked thread with a date for when to check back in for more info) and starting early doesn’t sound out of the question either.

So there are probably more people wondering this, especially if they keep talking about it like they have.

3 Likes

First off I love your name…
Second, my guess is they want to raise interest towards it from a long distance.

Well, the last few years starting early was not at all discouraged. It is more of a learning experience than anything else. I haven’t finished a single goal so far :rofl:

But this entire thing reminds me of people who already pulled out their christmass decoration…

3 Likes

I was saying I could see the contest itself starting earlier (for even more entries/higher completion, probably).

Personally if I end up actually participating, starting early could be a big help to make something somewhat decent. Considering I don’t really have any real experience/skill, most people participating likely have years of experience above me.

1 Like

There’s definitely an aspect of this.

The other component is that the minecraft server needs planning, and this discussion kicked the planning phase into high gear. I’ve been building configs and whatnot for it.

The thread is locked behind the meta category, which is locked to Trust Level 1 and higher. The requirements for that:

• Spend 10 minutes reading posts
  • Read 30 posts
  • Enter 5 threads

Might have been an oversight, I’ll consult Krista on her thoughts in that regard.

1 Like

Well, I will say it like this: I have been playing around with Game Maker for about a decade now. Never finished any project.
It’s not about the experience. It’s about scale and scope and the goals you put infront of you.

Oh, so we are not talking about the forum Devember thing, where we program stuff… Cause I kinda had an idea :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, we will be running the devember thing as well. But that other thread that Krista linked is just for the minecraft server.

Typically, someone will write up a quick Devember thread in the last week or so of November and we’ll set it to publish on Dec 1.

3 Likes

I would appreciate a bit of pre-guidance on how much I can start now.
I have a very ambitious project so I’d like to get started on an architecture diagram and writing the tasks. If it’s just December for the whole project from scratch then I’ll struggle picking up Linode as a new cloud service provider… which is a small part of my ToDo list for a minimal viable product.

2 Likes

We will post something ahead of time, for sure. We are still a couple months out, but I can tell you this. There are no penalties for starting early, just make a thread and regularly provide updates.

4 Likes

Yassss!

I finally joined the forums because I have a great project that I want to do for Devember2021 and the L1News has me hyped beyond capacity. Just like negazippy, I too have an ambitious project that I want to get started on. Hopefully others will at least be mildly entertained by my janky mains wiring if nothing else.

2 Likes

@SgtAwesomesauce @kreestuh the last 2 news videos have made it sound as if Devember is already underway, including Ryan saying “go to the forum and look at it” in the newest one. Is there supposed to be a thread up (particularly for development) by now?

Timed visibility issue, or mismatch due to when episodes are filmed vs. released?

I have a similar thing with programming (and lurking w/Godot, some very rare mostly-non-code tinkering) so I was very much not counting that as experience. I meant people who have released multiple projects (game jams, personal, etc also contributions), I have not done one.

1 Like

You can start early, I think?
I did because I won’t have time during November/December.

1 Like

I’m going to get some clarity at the next Council of Elders. Unfortunately, I’m out of spell slots at the moment, so I can’t cast Teleport untill a long rest.

2 Likes