Is there CPPC Support on Threadripper 3000 platform?

I’ve been wondering; Has people with Threadripper 3000 been able to enable CPPC and use AMD P-State driver?
Currently, the Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME on AGESA 1.0.0.7 (P6) does show CPPC in the bios, but it doesn’t do anything. Probably faulty / un supported configuration not sure.
I want to use AMD P-state driver out of mild curiosity what kind of performance impact it has over the default one.

1 Like

@FutureFade I’ve been wondering the exact same thing. I’ve done everything necessary to enable CPPC and the AMD P-State driver on a system with an ASUS TRX40 Zenith II Extreme, and when I check journalctl for amd-pstate, there’s an entry that says the kernel doesn’t see a _CPC object.

I cannot figure out what CPPC is truly for. What is a use case where it makes a significant difference? Why was it developed in the first place? What I can find online looks like CPU optimization masturbation, so I assume there must be more to it.

Just put the latest BIOS on my Zenith II Extreme, and I’m running kernel 6.4.1, and the AMD P-State driver is still not working. Same error as before: “amd_pstate: the _CPC object is not present in SBIOS or ACPI disabled”

I’ve been working on the same thing with the 6.4 kernel where it is suppose to be enabled by default but alas i’m getting the same as you - some SBIOS _CPC flag not on the cpu feature extensions. I"m running the TRX40-Prime Pro with a 3960X.

I have gotten this to work on my laptop 5900HS full ACPI suppose since there were patches - So 5.something kernel.

My guess is with others - its not been enabled in the bios. I have still been updating mine as recent as the last couple months.

Hi,

Can someone with AMD P-STATE working on their system please do the following:

1. copy the files under /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/ to a local directory
  2. chmod or chown them to give yourself access
  3. run iasl -d * on the files
  4. grep the files for ‘_CPC’, hopfully this will help identify which ACPI table has the CPC data.
  5. post one of the ‘Scope’ sections that has the structure inside that contains the _CPC data

thanks

Some good news dropped at phoronix

1 Like

Good news! Just installed kernel 6.8.9 on OpenSUSE Leap 15.5, and added amd_pstate=active to the kernel command line. Scaling driver is now amd-pstate-epp. It was the line change in the kernel that was done recently. That was the whole problem.

1 Like