Is there an HDMI to USB type C converter? (With DP alt mode and power delivery support.)

I have a portable touch screen that you can connect to a computer in two ways:

1. Use an HDMI cable to send video+audio to the screen, then use a USB-C to USB-A cable to send touch input from the screen to the PC and use another USB-C to USB-A cable to provide power to the monitor.
  2. Use a single USB-C to USB-C cable for everything. (Requires the PC to have a USB-C port that supports DisplayPort Alt Mode and that can deliver more than 2W of power.)

The Laptop I want to use this touchscreen with only has old USB 3.0 ports, an HDMI port and a DisplayPort (which is already connected to another external display).

Now i would like to have an adapter that has a USB input, an HDMI input, (maybe also another power input) and a single USB-C output that supports >2W power and DP alt mode.

Does such a thing exist?

I can only find USB-C to HDMI converters and the like, but nothing that has HDMI input and USB-C output.

HDMI and DP has incompatible signaling, so no passive adapters are possible.

You need an adapter with a chip that has an HDMI input and a DP output. Not sure if such a thing exists due to low demand, but good luck.

I have the one below: Drivers a fickle, forewarning.

There is a x4 version as well

Never tried in your configuration, mine is DP out (VGA) to DP in (Card) to USB-C out (Card) to Display

Dell has a guide for HDMI to DP out:
https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln300191/hdmi-to-displayport-dp-conversion-information?lang=en

@Methylzero HDMI to DP converters definitely exist: https://www.amazon.com/Active-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter-Gold-Plated/dp/B0752D33PJ/

But thinking about it, my monitor might actually support HDMI Alt Mode as well.

@Whipple_Jaeger
Thanks, but I don’t like the idea of trying to hack a pcie card into my laptop. I’m looking for an external device that can do it.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.