Is there a tutorial on how to use this forum?

Ah ok... well, depends how you use it I guess.

I usually just scim through the topic and quote on the fly.

People get notified for the quotes the same way they are when replying via Reply button and (even though it doesn't state it) the answers seem to get connected in the thread thing.

I think that is to post though, not to read. I could read the Off-Topic before and I had a padlock there until recently (I think even yesterday when I got Regular), but I have never tried to post there... so not sure.

/edit
Also, I think this has been resolved but I already did this work of art before, so...:

1 Like

in that case you have a few options.

If you know the post number, you can go directly to their post number with the scroll widget on the side >

You can search for the post with the search icon and limit it to the topic

You can search for the user

Or you can just tag them if you know the context @Vitalius

To quote a post btw, you can click reply on a specific post, or highlight certain text from the post and you will be given an optino to make a reply quoting that text.

It will quote the test in your reply and your quote will allow for expansion of the whole post or to jump to it (or expand previous replies).

Example ^

1 Like

I don't know if you noticed, but this doesn't work with triple-clicking to highlight a whole line/paragraph. You have to drag manually :frowning:

What I love about this is when quotes are out of context you can just click the arrow-thingy and it will bring up the whole post.

2 Likes

What operating system?

1 Like

Windows 10, using Vivaldi. Might try another browser some day and see if it's a Vivaldi/Chromium issue.

2 Likes

It works in Chrome. I've not tried vivaldi.

1 Like

Mh, seems to work with Edge... that's weird. Oh well, that's what you get on Snapshot releases ...

1 Like

Just tried that on Vivaldi and it works fine? Maybe how the browser handles the selection. I'm on Linux.

Then it seems to be OS dependent.

Thanks, although that was an example to mihawk of when you'd want to jump without reading a full thread.

That's what I usually do too. What I'm talking about isn't useful in threads you never intend to go back and read in. In long running threads it's more useful.

Oh, then yeah that's probably it.

Edit 1:

@Eden If you edit in a quote after posting, does the user receive the notification? I'd presume yes, but we'll see regarding mentions since I edited this line in.

Edit 2:

Also, these things:

The blue line. How do you get/set those? I've been through my profile, but can't find the setting?

1 Like

I figured i'd give the examples anyway since its that kind of topic :smiley: might use it later.

It does.

the forum sometimes provides a couple, but you can usually ask a mod to add one. Let me know.

1 Like

Does that mean it's a setting in my profile?

I have "none" atm. If I ever think of one I'd like, I'll let you know. Thanks.

Its named "Title" in preferences.

1 Like

I guess people with "member" trust level don't have that. I don't after having checked everywhere within Preferences.

Hm, possibly. Though it can be added manually to any user by a mod. There aren't many default pick-able options anyway, so its usually manually added if people ask.

1 Like

Gotcha. Good to know. If anymore questions come up, I'll ask them here I suppose.

I may edit the first post with Q & A style formatting if you do intend to use this in the future.

I knew what the blue and white circles meant, but I didn't know I could click on them. What's this about the back button on the right?

I have always said:
"The difference between a PC n00b and a PC Master is the n00b is afraid that a wrong click will break something. The Master clicks everything trying to see what breaks, so he can fix it."

It's about the joy of figuring it out for yourself.

1 Like

Not everyone has time for that. They'd rather be fixing their Arch installation than figuring out how a forum works.

2 Likes

Really? If one can install Arch, they can probably operate a forum. Though maybe not at a expert level. :slight_smile:

Your point is valid though, everybody is different. I like to dive in to explore and experiment. Others may prefer to complete a comprehensive tutorial before they even start. An instruction manual might help those inexperienced members.

1 Like

I totally agree with the Arch / forum notion. I rebuilt the engine on my mother's car, new cylinder head, timing set, all kinds of other serious internal engine stuff, and for the life of me I can't figure out what way the stupid plastic shield on the bottom goes on! Engine runs fine, shield still in the back of the car.

Thank you for posting this. I was going to start a similar thread a while back, then I figured out how to do what I needed and didn't care about the rest enough to start a new thread.

Now my question is how do people make those things that look like quotes, but they are links to sites and pull data from them? For instance Steam or Amazon, the title will be pulled from the page as well as the description. I'm sure I have more questions that I have already forgotten. The learning curve here is rather steep, luckily I can get by with very little.

1 Like

Its called a onebox, it's automatically made, it won't I do all links, but will do most. Add a link to your post on a new line in it's own.

Example

Example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuiper_belt
2 Likes

This also list a few of the lesser known features

2 Likes