Is there a true alternative to Google Play Music?

I prefer local music. Owning a license and playing off the device, not streaming! :stuck_out_tongue:
https://github.com/vanilla-music/vanilla on android very light, foss, great gui. Google Play music lags on my low end phone, tracks will skip, google forgets playback time on podcasts after being paused for a long time…
https://getmusicbee.com/ windows great upscaling stereo to 5.1 upmixing, tons of customization, great gui, great library management, decent eq, ASIO, WASAPI. [ASIO4All, 7.1 output, with the 5.1 upmix 192khz resample sounds best and is loudest to my pioneer reciever, other mixers / non asio are much quieter for some reason (reciever volume: asio 13% = windows 30%)]
I don’t have a good linux player :stuck_out_tongue:

I have 169gb of music on my computer - 32gb on phone.

Bruh

Buy flacs

is flac even worth? unless beeing doblysorround with multichannel tracks inside each song, and if u own multiple studio monitors?

is flac even worth?

Yes, but rarely because of sound quality.

First, transcoding down is possible. With any lossless format, you can convert to a lossy format and get the best quality that format has. Usually, that’s turning FLAC or WAV into MP3. You can’t go the other way. Data is lost when it’s converted to a lossy format, and that data is gone forever.

Secondly, FLAC has better metadata fields than WAV, and more than MP3’s ID3 tagging.

Finally, FLAC is patent-free, royalty-free, and DRM-free. This makes it a decent archival format because software to work with it is widly available. It also means that since there are no anti-circumvention methods to remove, format shifting is protected under most copyright laws. Format shifting on things with DRM is still legally problematic.

Sonically, there’s not a lot of benefit over 320kbps MP3. 24-bit FLAC is almost never needed for working copies, and frankly 32-bit audio should be considered harmful for consumer use.

You can get a better sound signature out of a 16 bit transcoder vs a 24 bit transcoder. I personally like my Marantz cd63’s 16bit dac. Because of the unique sound signature it has.

Spotify is a better alternative. It could be the largest music library online nowadays. As for the 3333 download limit, you can use an extra Spotify downloader like AudKit to download Spotify songs onto the computer. Then stream to other portable devices for offline listening.

Spotify needs a bit longer to train its algorithm, but it can surely be done.
I had my personal collection of old mp3’s on google play music, which I havn’t found on Spotify…
The ability to upload your own collection was golden…
But yea… if you really need access to this much stuff “offline” then you need to put it on your own nas…

I use Spotify. And I download songs with DumpMedia Spotify Music Converter from it. It’s convenient and cheap. I love it.