Is the Threadripper PRO any good for gaming

So @Goredoth1 , do you need more max cores or max single thread performance?

2 Likes

We can´t really give proper advice to this question.
Because the OP does not provide enough info on the,
additional workloads that topic starter might need Threadripper for.

But purely for gaming, as the title of this topic states.
Then the answer is pretty easy. No it’´s not really a great buy for gamers.
Because the Threadripper platform isn´t really ment for gaming.
Of course it can play every game just fine with a decent GPU.
But it´s not going to be better then latest gen Ryzen or Intel main stream for purely gaming.
Which are of course cheaper!

I think that wendell layed it out really well above.

3 Likes

Thanks for that indepth info Wendell, and appreciate the input from everyone else as well after reading through all of this I am probably better dropping the money on the 5950X and a 3090 and that will probably do what i need to do fine. I was a bit concerned about available lanes but it will more than likely be fine.
To add a bit more context I will be running a CentOS 7 virtual server on the system as well as 10Pro and there will be multiple game servers running off there as well. I do have a dual Xeon server running CentOS 7 in my shed at present but I was thinking about removing that and just running everything off one box instead of having the 2 seperate boxes but maybe if I go with keeping the 2 seperate boxes im better off with the 5950X and that should be able to handle everything I’m going to throw at it.

Really appreciate the help all, and thanks for being so accomodating to the nooby here at LevelOne Forums

Its Just fine for gaming, but solely for gaming ? No.

I have an TRPro 3955 16core32threads, iam a Humble Farmer right now, i Farm Chia, but want to Game on the Same system can i do that? Sure i have Threads.

I Play in 4k and in eyecandy Mode so iam usualy GPU bound.
When iam not plotting its an Family PC with virtual Machines on it. Before GPU-P i had Unraid on it and now is win11 all i need.

For me its the perfekt CPU and my next will have 32cores with a newer powersaving Architekture.

Power is expansive in Germany and my PC/Workstation/Server is Always on.

2 Likes

This is a pretty interesting way of thinking in regards to convenience and power saving.
However putting it all at one system also comes with it’s downsides of course.
When you have to reboot your system because of a update or a crash.
Then your servers etc would also go down.

And yeah the TR pro stuff is really expensive.
I mean you could replace the old dual Xeon for a small modern mini itx system,
with a Ryzen apu basically.
And then “probably” still having money left for a decent gaming desktop.
Just as a “hypothetical” example.

1 Like

Appreciate your time to reply to that.

Yeah im thinking I’m better off just keeping the systems seperate to avoid the system shutdowns etc.
Yeah just to get the Proc and Mobo here was over 10K and that was before i looked at a case to put it in and the RAM hahah.

I probgably could do away with the old server and like you said just build a mini ITX system to handle all my other stuff i got running on the server plus some.

It is approx 11 years old now, I mean it has served me well over the years but yeah prob time to part ways and make something much more inexpensive to run that will handle everything probably better that it would haha.

All good advice thanks all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course the mini itx thing was just ment as a “hypothetical” example.
But yeah i mean the 3995WX + top end board + ram and psu,
will set you back allot of money.
You can pretty much build two sepperate systems for that lol. :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah I got ya meaning haha.

It was not something I had considered but it probably isnt a bad idea although im not a fan of mini ITX hahaha

Youll be fine with a 3995wx. (I have both a 3995wx and 2 5950x’s).

It’s not best for gaming per se because if you’re gaming, you’re more likely to be shutting down everything else in the background, and hence not really take advantage of all the cores. It won’t be bad though.

If you go the 3995wx route heres a few tips to better optimize:

1. Consider Win 11 over 10, but even in 10 enterprise/pro for workstations will be better because of better schedulers.

2. Give various background tasks exclusive use of a core where possible. For example via Process Lasso:

3) Keep in mind the intracore latency - an app will work better if it doesnt have to talk to a seperate core, and I don’t think Windows is smart enough right now to know that sort of hardware config.

I keep meaning to poke the process last so guys about writing you right more advanced core pinning rules, to take such hardware architecture into account.

You can also look at the interrupt affinity tool to pin specific drivers to various cores.

Mostly using my 3995wx these days for an esxi box though.

2 Likes

Fwiw I also have a 10900k delidded and oc’ed to 5.2ghz all core.

But tbh, unless you are really particular, both a 5950x and a 3995wx will do a reasonable job in gaming, It’s a question of do you want to optimize for gaming, or do you want to optimize for letting your computer do a shit load of things at once.

2 Likes

I have a 3900x as my minecraft server + plex server + webserver. Use nginx on linode to frontend it. Works well. My 5950x is my gaming/general computer + video compression and folding at home system. It works to have two systems. You end up with two systems and probably around the same price as a single system with a 3990x cpu by itself: It also protects you if one system fails you can use your second one until you fix the other one.

My point is like @MisteryAngel says. You can build two really good systems for the price of a thread ripper system alone if not at the price of a 3990.

If you are going to get a 5950x newegg has them for around msrp.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.