Is RX 590 supported on Debian 10?

I’m looking to buy an RX 590 GPU but I’m currently running Debian 10 and I’m not sure if it’s supported. From what I can gather from the internet support for RX 590 landed in kernel 4.20 and Debian 10 is on 4.19. Does anyone know if the patches were backported?

Unlikely.
4.19 was the most recent LTS kernel, so I expect that you’ll want to update to a newer, stable kernel, until another LTS comes along. I’ve been on 5.1.x for several weeks with no issues, but 5.2.1 is the latest stable kernel.

Honestly, IMHO, with AMD hardware it pays to be on a rolling release, because the kernel driver is constantly being updated.

Looks like it can work

Debian is really good at backporting things. ThreadRipper 1 and 2 work on Debian IIRC.

1 Like

Yes, it’s supported.

The amdgpu driver contains a binary blob that does not comply with the Debian Free Software Guidelines, so you must first enable the non-free repo. (Complicated technicalities in play; it is still GPL-licensed)

Then, install the firmware-amd-graphicspackage.

The “unofficial” builds on debian.org should already have non-free enabled and include the amd graphics package.

Unofficially, there’s also:

https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries.

I run several models of AMD cards on different systems, and find it a little easier to use their build.

I run SID and we are still on 4.19. 5.1 is currently in experimental. If you need it, you could pull from that repo and only upgrade the needed dependencies.