Is RoG really worth it?

Hi guys,

This is one of my first posts and I would really love some help.

I am going to build my first rig in a few weeks, but i need a bit of advice.

The build I have come up with so far is the following:

Case: Corsair 350D

CPU: 4670k

Cooler: Corsair H100i

Mobo: ....

Ram: 8 gigs of Corsair Vengeance Pro (just cause it looks nicer:P)

GPU: *Still doubting*

PSU: Corsair RM750

SSD: Samsung 840 pro 120 GB

For the Mobo I'm thinking about a RoG Gene as I plan to overclock.

However, is this board really worth the "extra" money.

Do you really notice the sound difference as it is supposed to better on this board.

If there are any mistakes in my English I apologize (I am from the Netherlands).

Also if you need any more information please feel free to ask for it.

PS: Yes!! If you're wondering, I just love Corsair:P

I had a maximus v gene couple years ago with a i5 - 3570k. It was a gem. They have only made the VI better. If you can fit it in your budget I'd say go for it.

With that ivy bridge cpu I was getting a 4.6 OC easily. Be sure to check out the haswell OC guide in the overclocking forums it'll really help ya too.

Its a sticky post: https://teksyndicate.com/forum/overclocking/haswell-overclocking-guide/153447

You don't have to get an RoG board. It just has a better VRM design than other run of the mill boards.

It just all depends on how much you're wanting to overclock. If I were to build a new PC, I'd get an MSI Mpower board. But that's just me.

RoG are good overclocking motherboards, and come with great features. However, you can get much of the same capability from lesser motherboards. It really depends on your needs. I happened to like the red and black colour scheme, and I am a fan of ASUS, so I went with RoG.

I would say the Gene really stands out as one of the better mATX motherboards. What really sets itself apart from the cheaper ASUS or Gigabyte motherboards is the quality of the onboard sound. Plus, you have that additional mini PCIe slot. Which means you could do an SLI/Crossfire configuration, and still add an additional wifi card. However, you might not need those features.

Haswell mobo's dont need good a huge amount of vrm's .....vrm management is largely moved on to the cpu it's self (this is why haswell cpu's run like molten lead)

Meaning you can now use much cheaper motherboards the Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5 MATX is 1/2 is half its price and is a excellent mobo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-NeBKtl6l0

Well, I looked into it but the Sniper m5 is just as expensive as the Gene.

Both around the €170,-

Buying RoG just means that you are willing to pay more for high quality stuff and more gaming oriented features.  Like the beastly VRM that is on RoG, the improved sound, and a sexy color scheme.  

It's not worth it unless you don't have a tight budget basically.  Better to just buy a Deluxe or cheaper competitor board and spend more on the GPU.  

ever looked at the Msi Z87 Mpower or Mpower MAX?  great motherboard good price spot alot of feutures also wlan and bluetooth.  good overclockability. only the pitchblack /yellow color theme is something you have to like or not. i personaly do.

Further Asus ROG boards are offcourse also a good choice, the Hero in particular is a gamers mobo, not realy a diehard oc board. the maximus Formula and Extreme are a bit overpriced for theire peformance in my opinnion.