Is My Rig Fully Protected Against The Spectre & Meltdown Bugs?

Maybe for some strange reason the patch is not installed / active … Try it manually.
https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2019-1125

You can also look at the list to see if there are: KB 4056888 | KB 4056890 | KB 4056891 | KB 4056892 | 4056893 | KB 4056898
3F_1PCr1PJ9uf-j0GsYfi8cYb6_7iA5YAw

You can try disabling Windows Defender / SmartScreen before starting the program, just in case.

And if you prefer to read PowerShell, please refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4074629/understanding-the-output-of-get-speculationcontrolsettings-powershell

there are still some vulnerability with Intel Arm Amd but its all based on having physical access to the device from what i recall.which the companies think is not thier problem. same with thunderbolt in many cases.

1 Like

I did check my system both via the Settings app under “view installed updates” & using the Control Panel), but I don’t seem to have these updates installed. Let’s just hope I won’t screw anything up if I choose to download/install these 6 updates manually… :grimacing:

BTW, if I choose to download/install these 6 updates manually, should I just do them in the order that you listed? :thinking:

It’s not a big deal, but it’s kinda the other way round.
Meltdown was Intel (and arm) only. Specte was all of them.

But since the first of each came to light, more spectre and similar attack vectors have been identified, affecting AMD and Intel (and ARM and power)

Mitigations for Meltdown reduced the performance significantly when first submitted, but it was mostly just tech places reporting the outrage over the bad feedback recevied from the bad patches

Oh, and there was the irresponsible disclosure by CTS labs, who were funded with a firm that had shorts on AMD shares. The info was reasonable, but disclosure was not.
If the share price had fallen, as might have happened, they stood to gain financially, but might have been investigated for causing the short they tried to cash in on.
Again, there was much talk of this which blew past the actual threat of it.

1 Like

Update for you all: I tried to manually download & install the 6 updates mentioned above, but when I tried to install them, it says they don’t apply to my system.

I really don’t understand how I’m still not protected against the Meltdown bug(s) according to the InSpectre tool. From what I know, maybe those 6 updates that @TimHolus eluded to earlier might already be included in version 2004 or something? :thinking: Not sure on that.

Supposedly Rocket Lake was supposed to include faster mitigation instruction.

However spectere is going to be with us a long time. The only way to be fully protected is either not to speculate (extremely painful to performance) to eliminate all observable micro-archetectural effects of speculated code until the branch is confirmed. (extremely complicated and required entirely novel CPU data pathways)

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.