Is my 8350 holding back my 390x?

this is what i got

Check your CPU usage during gaming, if it's hitting most cores at 90-95% often that means it's having a hard time keeping up with the GPU, then it's a bottleneck. If you're trying to hit 120-144hz, then the CPU is a bottleneck for sure.

120-144m I was at about 50% cpu load yesterday on overwatch and my gpu was bouncing from 100% to like 50 wasn't stable at all

Thank God my new monitor is gonna nice and has a 144-40 free sync range

I am guessing you still have turbo and apm and I would guess c6 still enabled.
core 5 @5.4! Congrats you won the silicon lottery!

Jayztwocents has a great starter video on OC'ing the 8350, of course it's on one of those 300 dollar MB's that normal people don't buy:)

Took me about 6 months to get my OC where I am happy with it for now. At times I was gonna give up and buy a new MB. The good thing was it forced me to learn what the SB, NB, CPU/NB and HT does and I got to learn how my MB reacts. I also fried the SB950 sensor when I got the BCLK up to 260(way too high:) BTW checked out your MB....drooling....that thing is really sweet. And twice the MB mine is.

On the 83xx's it really pays to start out with turning off the turbo, apm and c6 and one other setting(it has to do with EM interference, forgot it's name), then upping the BCLK or base clock first.
On mine I started out with the HT knocked back a click and the Ram backed off some. Then played games for a week, went up a click, gave more juice to the dram....and on till I hit 224. That's when it started kicking me out of games. Then I backed it off to 223. My board supports 2400 dram and I eneded up close to that (23something) and HT 2675. Your MB heatsinks are much better then mine.

On mine I the turned turbo, apm and c6 back on. But my MB is limited by 4 phase power, yours is 8 phase and a much better heatsink.

I went with auto settings on everything else but you may want to go manual on yours. And once you get your BCLK where it is stable I would then work on the muliplier. Or you could do the same as mine and leave everything on auto, upp the BCLK and then turn the turbo and APM back on.

I like to leave HWmonitor running when I am playing cause each game uses the cpu sooo differently. The frostbite engine keeps all cores at 3.9 and 90 percent or so, Titanfall has 3 cores at 4.46 and likes to switch them cores allot.
My 770 never uses more then 90 percent on the memory at 1080. It is only a 2 gb card and at 1440 it would probably run out of mem and then have to go to main mem which is a total FPS killer.

Look I am still learning and I am no expert by any means. Some guy got my MB (with a better cpu) to go above 5ghz. I saw this and he must be some kind of CPU whisperer or something, wish I had this guys skills.

@FightMeIRL

Here is something you might be interested in:

ikik its a RX 480 but that is a pretty close GPU, and the AMD CPU is an FX 6350 but it's fairly close to get an idea of what kind of differences there are
which is very, very minimal for the most part
with a few games that are not as good with the AMD cpus

If u want I can get on Skype and can show u what I have maybe ud have some suggestions? Idk I'm more of a person who when I see it done before my eyes I remeber not much of a reader lol

I run a 8gb 390x

the 480 is more or lees the same perf as a 390, ... so 10% less performance than your card. So from this you can get an idea how much the FX processor is really bottlenecking (or not bottlenecking) your GPU.

I don't have skype sorry man.
Let me download you manual and check it out.
It's the 970 pro gaming aura?

BTW what's your fav games?

It will be slow. I have a 3000 mile 6 day week and I gotta get some sleep now.
BTW even stock you have a killer system

I play alot of overwatch and now I just orderd a 1440p 144hrz display yesterday so cya tv lol gonna be getting battle field 1 soon aswell

And yes it's the 970 aura... I'm ordering a new case tommrow gonna get the nzxt noctis 450 in red ND black

When I am gaming my cpu doesn't really pass 40 or 50% I'm more worries about msi after Burner showing the spikes idk if it should be 100% load or.spiking

That could be just crossfire issue with the game and Overwatch isn't really a CPU bound game.

I'm on a single gpu right now haven't crossfire yet not gonna till zen comes out

I looks like a cpu bottleneck to me yeah.
Unless you suffer from a thermal throttle issue from either the cpu or gpu.
70°C basicly is too hot for a FX chip.

Nah. AMD has been designing their stuff to run long and synergize with everything else. Nvidia would much rather you bough 5960X's and all sorts of insane bullshit. With AMD, all the technology they have in their GPU's works with their CPU's perfectly. Get 2 390X's and an 8370 that can OC like hell and you have a decent 4K machine available.

At that theres microcode coming out that is making the old FX chips even better.

shrugs ? pushes 1440p decent...............

1 Like

That's not 1440p I'll do a 1440 tommrow when I get my new monitor