Is MariaDB the same as mySQL for learning

I will start with I like Linux and Opensource FIRST

I want to migrate my database from LibreOffice Calc to MariaDB on a dedicated Ubuntu VM

I am new to databases, aside from Microsoft Access back in the day (10+ years ago) I forget already.

Enough rambling, I am finding it hard to learn MariaDB on Ubuntu so I am wondering if I start with learning mySQL on Windows 10, myPHP admin, Xammpp, can I transfer the skills learned over to MariaDB, DBeaver and Ubuntu in the future?

Are the concepts and technology the same on either platform?

MariaDB is a direct fork of MySQL and the structure of the language and tools are essentially the same with the exception of some feature differences between the two but for the most part they are interchangeable.

2 Likes

I personally think that anything you learn on MySQL would translate very well into MariaDB as @MichaelLindman said, they are rather interchangeable. Are you happen to learning MariaDB via a CLI? I would suggest learning with a front-end like MySQL Workbench which can connect to any DB as long as you have the proper connections and configs, it tends to be easier to learn that way. The workbench is also cross platform and can be done on either the host or the VM. But yes, I do think if you went the Win10, myPHP admin route, a lot of those things translate well. For my personal experience I have done everything in a Linux host machine with DB’s on multiple machines, VM’s, or off site and it works well. It is matter of preference honestly which tools you use. If you have any questions about that, by all means ask.