Is linux that secure?

I would in your place study really hard and become the best in the company so I can fix their mistakes and every fucking time they get shocked how a younger guy fixes their fucking problem I would go: https://loopvideos.com/b-hHJZ3wqKU?from=19&to=21

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been doing.

It’s easy because our Operations team consists of me (the linux guy), my boss (CTO), our helpdesk guy, our AD admin and a tech who’s in charge of maintaining one of our production SaaS products. The company runs lean and mean which means it’s a great place for us all to shine (or burn, I suppose).

The best way to learn how to do your job is to do it. (in my experience)

1 Like

All you can do is attempt to communicate and document what transpires, so your ass is covered if there’s ever an investigation over something. Or if you want to pursue this, go to management, which I predict will do nothing or at worst, will write you off as petulant (especially given your age) and punish you for having the gall to come forward about this.

Try walking into your manager’s office and saying that. This is why, the “other duties as assigned” clause or whatever it’s called needs to be struck down in court.

This is the equivalent of leaving your doors unlocked at home because “nothing ever happens here.” Don’t be surprised when someone walks in and robs the place, and the neighbors lend them tools to do it, as well as offer them refreshments! You think people would’ve learned the Titanic’s lesson.

1 Like

Eh, I’m not concerned about it. I just wish they’d give me the benefit of the doubt that I can do shit, especially after I’ve been kicking ass in the background for about 2 years for the company.

When a sysadmin is doing their job, usually you don’t notice. It’s when they fuck up that people notice.

Oh, I don’t have that clause in my contract. I took a 2% pay cut when hired to have it removed for this specific reason.

Wow, you can actually have it removed?

1 Like

My boss really wanted me and that and a clarification on an ambiguous term in the contract were my only contentions to signing the papers.

Oh…

Yeah, It’s a really good situation for me. If you can make it work, do it, but I don’t expect to see it all too often.