Is it worth switching from GTX 1070 Ti to AMD 5700 XT?

I want to switch to AMD. If I can’t switch to Linux. At least I can support FOSS by using AMD. But I also want to upgrade my GPU.

I assume FOSS is Free Open Source Software? How does supporting AMD support that? (genuine question)

As for 1070 Ti vs 5700 XT, depends on what you’re doing. The 5700 XT is a good bit faster, but if you’re already slapping the full refresh rate of your monitor at max settings with the 1070 Ti, you won’t notice a difference. The 1070 Ti still has a better NVENC encoder as well AFAIK, meaning if you stream and wanna encode on the GPU (or record footage), it’s the better GPU.

found this…

UserBenchmark isn’t the most reliable, it’s mostly for ballpark numbers. But yeah, the 5700 XT should be 15-20% faster at least, maybe a few % more (it fights the 2070 Super, which is a better 2070, which is a slightly better 1080, which is a slightly better 1070 Ti, lol).

2 Likes

If all you do is game @ 1080p, on a 144hz monitor, the answer is a pretty big no.

And buying a new GPU, basically sidegrading for 1080p gaming, isnt supporting Free Open Source Software in any way or form.

But please, provide more info on what you use you PC for, and it would be easier to give a more reliable answer

EDIT: and that userbenchmark page is pretty shit, a 1070ti doesnt get 85fps in GTA V @ 1080p

It doesn’t.

Almost $400 for a fractional increase in performance is what people raged at Intel for doing for years. I’d wait it out or go all in with 2080 Ti

3 Likes

That’s not a real upgrade. Wait for something bigger to switch.

3 Likes

Do it if you can afford it, but as said earlier - not really worth it for the performance numbers.

Dont waste money on a 5700XT as it is pretty much its equivalent.

The only reason for you to get AMD is that if you are a Wayland developer and need a non-nvidia card.

If that’s what you want to do, sure, go ahead - you can maybe even get decent money for your 1070TI. I will say the lack of needing a proprietary driver is nice.

But…

If its for a proper performance upgrade… i wouldn’t get rid of the 1070ti just yet.

It will be sort of a sideways move give or take say 10% in terms of performance.

1 Like

https://www.fsf.org/about/ways-to-donate/
Plus they have way overpriced gifts

Probably not. Wait a year and see what else AMD comes out with. They have said they will be releasing something at some point to compete on the high end. Also why can’t you switch to Linux?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.