Is it unusual?

Is it unusual to cool my laptop with a box-fan because it can't run without overheating?

For example; I'll listen to music with ease, but as soon as I go to watch a video longer than thirty minutes or so, it overheats, crashes, and won't turn on until it cools.

I wouldn't have to do this any other time, but I sort of don't have a PC currently.

I was in the process of building this rig, ( https://teksyndicate.com/videos/build-400-apu-gaming-rig )

when I came across the newest APU build video.

So I guess my question is how many of you guys out there have done this, or something similar for cooling in the past?

my hp pavilion dv6's fan bearings went out. I picked up a fan that was compatible on ebay, and replaced it. worked fine, til the thing crashed for an unrelated reason.

It's not unusual to be loved by anyone, It's not unusual to have fun with anyone, But when I see you hanging about with anyone, It's not unusual to see me cry, I wanna die! 

untill about a year and a half ago (if i remember correctly) i was using a dell insperon from i want-to say 2003, overheated single core celron 2.4GHz (back before cpus had part numbers), towards the end of it's life (it actually still works, but just a web browser maxes out the cpu...) if i wanted to watch video for an extended period of time i would have to lay it on top of a box fan, low speed would be fine for a little bit, but if i was going to be constantly streaming that would require high speed

Good to know I'm not the only one.

Oh and peps1, you made me very happy.