Is it safe to overclock the same way for Linux and Windows?

To explain myself further of what I mean by the title, I overclocked my CPU ( i7 5820k ) on my x99 Sabertooth by using the multiplier x44 and it’s stable on windows at 1.3V and I also used the XMP OC for the Corsair Dominator platinum RAM ( 2667 Mhz) that I’ve been using but now I’ve stopped using Windows 10 for a while and switched to Linux Mint 18.3 and I was wondering if it’s safe to overclock the same way since I’m using Linux now or is there an alternative method to doing it? Everything seems to be stable still though so it would be nice if someone can give me some advice or confirm if it’s safe thing to do.

I am also relatively new to Linux, I decided to switch from windows because I wanted to explore Linux and learn more about how things work in a computer and I am currently doing a Degree in Computer Science and I like to code my assignments here by using the terminal.
I do still play some video games on steam as well that is supported in Linux like DOTA 2 and War-hammer Dawn of War 3 and Middle Earth : Shadow of War.

Any advice on if it make sense keeping the overclock and if it’s safe would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps, I would appreciate it a lot

On a side note, the full specs of my PC are as follows :
Intel i7 5820k
Asus Sabertooth x99 Motherboard
16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 4x4
EVGA GTX 970 SCC in SLI ( Although SLI is disabled right now because when enabled in Linux Mint it causes crazy screen tearing )
850w Corsair RMi PSU Gold Rated
Custom EK Waterblook water cooling loop for the processor (Xtreme 360 Kit )
Corsair 540 air as the case

Yes it is safe. If you stability check on either OS with full load on the CPU. It will not matter what OS is running after that when overclocked in the BIOS / UEFI.

Gaming does not stress the CPU like what blender and video processing would. That’s no risk if the system has been stress tested.

2 Likes