Is it Really Possible to Cook With a GTX 480?

I think I wil start this thread with a disclaimer:

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME OR AT ALL

GTX 480's aren't the best card and you probably shouldn't risk breaking stuff by copying me.

With that out of the way we can get into the actual content of the thread. So, the GTX 480 is a card that is know for getting extremely hot. So then people made this meme as a joke:

Which got me thinking, is it actually possible to cook on? So I went to trusty Ebay and bought one (and a 6 cm ribbon cable). Upon receiving it I took off the plastic covering of the shroud. This thing looks like it was made to be a grill. That Silver is all part of the Aluminum heatsink.

So the next day rolls around and I get the stuff together to actually do this. The rig I am using to do this is my HTPC. Specs at the bottom.In all honesty I think this would work better with cast iron, due to its ability to hold heat better, but my mom said this is the pot she wanted me to use. I decided to boil water just as a test.

As you can see, it didn't quite get to a boil. Though it was very hot. I think with cast iron I could definitely get this to work. But that is for another day, I do have stuff to do. I have to get a thermometer to measure the heat of the water and similar stuff. The max tempature of the GPU was 110°C

INB4 Why would you even do this?
My response:

Specs:
AMD FX-8320
MSI 970A-G36
16 GBs of some mismatched ram
Thermaltake T-600W PSU
Some 3U server case
Cooler Master Gemin II
Some random 500 GB hard drive
And of course, the GTX 480.

27 Likes

my room is cold, lets turn on folding @ home and put those 390X's to work.

now my room is toasty.

1 Like

Nice. For the next round you could try to cook a few things instead of boiling water. Throw some oil and onions in a small skillet and see if you can brown them up :)

1 Like

4 Likes

I got a 6 inch one of those. That's what I plan to use next time. The eventual goal is steak.

2 Likes

Hahah cool.

You could start with an egg.

1 Like

5 Likes

Not really, the GTX 480 is a furnace, overkill for cooking.

Try a R9 295X2. But maybe it would also boil if you overclock the sweet jebus out of the FX CPU for MAXIMUM HEAT!

1 Like

Cook on a paper plate. /s

1 Like

nice.... not sure why you thought you could boil water though...

Water boils at 212F and your silicon chip can never exceed 200F.

It got to 230℉

3 Likes

Yes water boils at 212F or 100C, the chip reached 109C which is hotter than 212F

3 Likes

What's funny is I'm sure I could cook stuff with a dual 390x. Not the r9 295 though. The water cooler would be an issue.

1 Like

This experiment is advancing science in ways we will not understand for years to come.

Good work sir.

2 Likes

If you can grind the heat sink surface flat then sand it, and use a really small pan so you have less thermal mass it would work better

6 Likes

you may need this info graphic soon

5 Likes

Still not sure why you didn't just throw some chicken strips or bacon on the top of the GTX 480. It's literally the perfect grilling surface as it sits.

I will, soon, later... When I get time.

1 Like

Never say never, my mom bought an AMD APU laptop a few years ago and it hit 100 C at one point.

true. the heatsink fins would make great grill marks.

Pour some olive oil directly on the heatsink and then apply chicken breast

2 Likes