Is it ok to ask here my future Linux eGPU questions?

Hello,

I am new here. Is it ok to ask here my future Linux eGPU questions?

I have several laptops, but I am considering trying eGPU with EXP GDC via expresscard on

1. Thinkpad T430, upgraded to: i7-3740QM (yes it gets hot even with the best thermal paste) 16GB RAM, new 1600x900 panel, SSD + caddy for the CDROM bay.
  2. HP Elitebook 8570p upgraded with: i7-3740QM (yes, hot too, even with the best thermal paste), 16GB RAM, FullHD panel, upgraded WLAN card, SSD + drive caddy for the CD-ROM bay, upgraded to max battery capacity that works amazingly thanks to TLP). This laptop is supposed to have a good expresscard connection speed (same as the Thinkpad X230 Intel i7 variant and the well known eGPU-apt Dell models, EC 2.0 I think. Unlike the very few EC 3.0 models)

I have 2 Thinkpads L460 with i5-6200U and 24GB RAM and several other laptops (and a HP AIO TouchSmart) with Core 2 Duo T9900 and 8GB RAM.

I am here referring about Linux eGPU, I am mainly a Xubuntu guy, also have Manjaro and Fedora on 2 laptops to get used to them. I would like to try QubesOS soon.

Regards,

Alex

BTW: I have tried virtualization with Virtual Machine Manager (Frontend) on Xubuntu and the guest OS is SLOOW.

Level1 youtube videos are always so cool and informative. Thanks guys.

2 Likes

I have tried virtualization with Virtual Machine Manager (Frontend) on Xubuntu and the guest OS is SLOOW.

Virt-Manager has nothing to do with the speed of your VM. double check your VM instance settings, and make sure it’s copying your host’s configuration and not QEMU’s default.

2 Likes

Good point, I will check. Thanks

Welcome.

In the future, don’t ask, just do. We’ll sort outif your post needs to be recategorized

Categorized? I applied the Hardware and GPU labels, is that what you mean? I would have created the eGPU label, but I could not, I guess because I am new to the site.

I mean if you ever did do it wrong and wasn’t sure a mod or reg would probably fix it.