Is HD4400 still good enough for media consumption?

Hello, I hope this is the right category for the post.

My aunt is in a need for a computer for her kids school work. I saw an old ThinkCentre M73 with i3-4130T that is coupled with Intel HD4400 on sale for cheap.
The workload is likely centered around school work, including Zoom calls possible and also YouTube and movies at 1080p@60 at most.
Would the iGPU be enough for that at this day and age?

It will be fine.

1 Like

Price versus Performance is the key. Is it below or above $100? Do you know if the unit is a decomissioned office pc?
The processor is AVX2 compatible, which is a good for a few more years. 4400 GPU will be work fine short term as well. Will show its age by the time it needs replacing.

2 Likes

yep it’ll work, wouldn’t pay more than like 100$ shipped for only a low power T i3 variant though

1 Like

Thank you for the replies!
@Whipple_Jaeger @GigaBusterEXE The PC itself is refurbished and is at 212€ which for current time and second hand prices here seems to be around what you’d expect to pay. There’s also an option for a brand new prebuilt, which would be priced around 350 which has G5400 and either mATX or mid tower, thus giving more options to upgrade along the way.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=optiplex+3020&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15

you can get them a bit cheaper and with an i5, I don’t know which part of europe you live in so hard to tell

dell optiplexs are easy to tell whats in them by the name the last two numbers will denote what gen they have
so a 3020 will be a haswell, a 3010 will be a ivy bridge and 3040 will be skylake

stay away from pentiums and celerons because they often lack things like AVX and run at a lower ram speed

I also like to get lenovo PCs are alright too but its been a while since I searched for them and I’ve forgotten their name scheme

2 Likes

Thank you for very in depth response!
I found a local supplier that sells refurbished computers and it matches the price points you suggested much better than the former one I linked.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.