Is DuckDuckGo compromised?

That IMDB one is the first result. I am using mullvad vpn in the us endnode.

Primarily it is imdb that does this. No other sites.

Oddly enough it is on the html based search result. not on javascript one.

For the first search, do you get the same results without the VPN? I’m not sure if you are in the US or not?

I tried similar searches in firefox/ddg and got results like the last one. I’m not sure how to use the javascript version.

I just had javascript disabled in the browser. i enabled it to access it. It defaults to html.duckduckgo.com if javascript is disabled.

I even searched for “house imdb russian” and got all english results.

You’re burnt!

3 Likes

I have not tried it with a different vpn. But I am based in the US and use mullvad to a different US location.

1 Like

Have you tried disabling javascript? Go to html.duckduckgo.com and search house imdb. tell me what you get.

Nothing Russian!

Is your VPN endpoint Georgia? or maybe St Petersburg?

2 Likes

Nope.

and to be clear, I do get Some Russian results sometimes, but not nearly a suspicious amount…

the html version (middle) gave better looking samba results btw, so I might look at using it a bit more, on desktop

1 Like

I get them more when doing html.duckduckgo.com
I never get them with javascript version.

I changed endpoint to Denver, and did get different results non html, but not non-html. but no difference in a private window.

I am not sure what DDG use to identify me for their purposes (customising results to user agent string, or whatever)

I changed vpn from mullvad to proton. Will update with results in a second.

Here are the results of ProtonVPN

no russian results.

1 Like

So maybe mullvad is compromised?

1 Like

I dont think it is compromised. I think Duckduckgo is servicing different vpns with different geolocations.

Mullvad is my vpn too… and I didn’t get no Russian…

1 Like

I’m amazed and how many people are using VPN’s. I mean paying for one company to have the privilege to steal all your data…they should pay you. In Soviet Russia VPN pays you! (jokes only old people will get)

3 Likes

I think duckduckgo has some stuff to work out. Because it doesnt result in non html, does result on occasion with html.

1 Like