Is command line Wbadmin image backup on W7 as reliable as GUI interface?

So, I'm trying to prod a few noobs to start creating regular offline system images of their computers, since I have to fix their systems if they trash them, but these people are mostly clueless and some can barely check their email without assistance. In particular, one woman I have had to help quite a bit, finally heeded my call to purchase a portable external hard drive and I've tried working with her to learn how to use the GUI available in Windows Backup and Restore to create a quick image, but, like I said, mostly clueless. I've even tried screen cap videos, but she still hasn't mastered that simple process.

I've mapped her external drive to a specific drive letter and am now working to create a command line executable that will always keep two separate system image folders, rotating the oldest version out, renaming the newer image folder and creating a new image using Wbadmin to take its place. (I know Windows can create multiple images in one folder now that larger drives are available, but I'm "old school" and still prefer having completely separate system image folders.)

So, the question I have is, does anyone foresee any issues with running command line backups for this noobie user, instead of using the Backup GUI in Win 7? Are Wbadmin command line images as reliable as those created via the GUI? Would I be incorrect in assuming the GUI simply runs the Wbadmin command line, hidden from the end user? I've always used the GUI for imaging to external drives myself and I don't think I've ever had the occasion to restore from an image created manually via Wbadmin command line, yet, so I do have some concerns about any issues that may crop up from trying to automate the process for them as much as I can.

I am hopeful that I may be able to train her to plug in the external drive, click an icon and then give the UAC permission to run the executable, which should take care of everything, except for ejecting the drive afterwards, though I think I have an eject utility which might work through the command line for that.

Wouldn't it be easier to backup to a NAS instead of an external hard drive? Plugging in an external drive, while being simple, it's still an unnecessary procedure for the user.
Even if they were laptops that get moved around they should still prolly tunnel to the corporate network.
Would make the automatic configurations alot easier, also if the backup procedure requires human interaction and the users can't do it themselves what's preventing you to SSH into their machines to run the scripts?
Also, users shouldn't be able to click allow on UAC promps, that should be restricted by the admin password.

EDIT: They're not work related? God I need to drink more coffee.

Nope, not work related. Well, technically, I guess you could call it "work" since I get paid on occasion by the people I help out, just not in a corporate environment. Mostly people I know, or who I got recommended to by others I've helped along the way.