Is a 370 still good?

I'm trying to make a decision right now. As I get on with my PC I want to create more stuff for youtube and stream more often. At the moment I have an R7 370, but I really want an upgrade as I am seeing the problems I have very very clearly. I had the opportunity to get a 390X when I got this card and I am kinda pissed at myself that I didn't.

So, what should I get as a replacement? What is the jump from a 2 gig 370 to a 4 gig 470? How much can I get for my 370? Should I look for a 480 instead?

Also, I have a Xeon 1225V3 as a CPU. Would that bottleneck a future GPU? I plan on getting a Zen upgrade soon so this is only for the moment.

Edit: For reference, I am probably going to grab one of these.

1 Like

A 470 is going to be double the speed, if not more, of a 370. And a 480 will be that plus about 10% over the 470.

2 Likes

I mean the definition of "good" is based on your performance needs. If you're happy with a 370 then it is good. If not then no it isn't.

A 470 would be a massive jump. Like legitimately nearly 100% faster depending on the game and use case.

The 8GB 480 is a bit more yes, but it is a little faster and if you play games that use a lot VRAM it will be beneficial. It's up to you whether that is worth it or not. Also slightly more "feature proof."

For $130 though it is hard to argue with the value of the 470.

Meh an 8 thread Haswell Xeon at 3.6Ghz? You'll be fine in nearly all titles. A few will limit performance but not excessively so and I wouldn't worry. A 470 isn't a 1080 Ti. You're going to be GPU limited more often than not

IDK maybe $50-60?

have a bit to think about besides that if your talking buy right now, or maybe wait, as them refresh cards, may effect pricing, where maybe 470/480 will drop in price to move the units to have the refreshes more near the msrp pricing or something.

so might be even cheaper if you wait a bit

An R7 370 is still decent but an RX 470 would be a surprisingly large upgrade as it's a tiny margin away from an R9 390.

If not more.

@DerKrieger the 1225V3 is actually 4c/4t. Don't get to the 8t parts until the 1230Vx.

@FaunCB As everybody else has said, RX 470 will be significantly better than the R7 370, and the RX 480 will be better than the RX 470.

Whatever route you go for I'd suggest getting as much VRAM as possible. I've noticed in many of the more recent games that even 4 GB won't cut it, sometimes even my 6 GB gets fully used. 2 GB would make me cry.

Is it? Damn. Thought all the Xeons had HT.

Jesus Intel and your idiotic fucking segmentation.

@OP
Regardless though it is still fine. Plenty of people are gaming on Haswell i5s as we speak

lol well the 4 gig is a super huge upgrade for me anyways. If I was going to get an 8 gig 470 I might as well get an 8 gig 480 as the prices in my area are the same and online its a difference of, what, 40 dollars?

@dinscurge I'm thinking about 2 months out.

@DerKrieger yeah 4c/4t. But the 3.6 boost is nice from the 3.2 stock lol. I'm trying to lay out my upgrades and where everything will be going, R5 and mobo after the GPU... I'm hoping for closer to 80 bucks when vega hits for my 370.

Yep, 1220 and 1225 are 4c/4t even though the entire rest of the E3 lineup consists of 4c/8t parts. Save about $50 though.

Lenovo TS140 that I got for free, it doesn't really matter lol. If I had a normal dtop board I'd be doing an upgrade to a 3770K instead :P

will wanna follow up then :p. if the price dropped to say 175$ 480 8gb or something not too much more than current 470s?

havent followed though so dunno when launch/refresh launch is rumored to be so w.e. but you know :p

1 Like

Sometime may or June I think. July is wayyy too far out. Also, if it dropped from like 285 to 175 I would be ecstatic.

285?

got one not even cheapest little bit ago for like 220 lol. even have a rebate but didnt wanna do this particular one(requires more hoops then just send them upc and they send me cash)

i mean if they are launching the refresh in a couple/few months they might urge stores to preemptively lower price/move the stock out so the new 580 thats only 10% better or whatever isnt competing with the 480 that probably costs less but many of those will clock to the same speed as same die, same fab similar maturity level(if getting a new one anyways)

edits: if had more cash could have got the xfx god model for like 250
but soon before/after launch of the refresh wouldnt be surprised if the 4xx drops like 10-20% maybe

1 Like

370 was never a good card... It was not good card the day it came out...
My 270X is whiping the floor with the 370...
To answer your question:

Those are a bit of old graphs from summer 2016, but still...
Anyways, the rumors are whispering about the 580 and 570 in about a month on improved 14nm process with better power management and performance, so if you are not in a rush may be wait for April to pass?

1 Like

I'm thinking an upgrade in about 2 months from now.

1 Like

Yeah, more than 4 GB VRAM is a good idea, but I managed to use only half of my 8 GB of VRAM with a 4K monitor playing most games at 4K with demanding titles at 1440p.